• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!!! engine cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!! engine cleaning

Ok well my car is an 08 pontiac G6 But under the hood is pretty dirty. I let a company borrow my car for 2 months while they made a custom body kit. To make this story short...my engine compartment has a lot of fiberglass dust. Whats a good way to clean it and what products should i use.

Thanks in advance

Re: Help!!! engine cleaning

This entire section is dedicated to cleaning/detailing engines. Just take a look around at threads. The answers are waiting for you...

Comment

I already did and i still dont know what to do...thanks anyways

Comment

I have a 00 GMC Yukon and 05 Dodge Neon.

I take them both to the coin op and blast them while running (to not crack the block shooting cold water on a hot engine).

I shoot first with the soapy water for a while and I do try to stay away from the alternator and computer and ignition stuff, but they will still get wet.

I then rinse, and shoot the wax on it for water run off.

I then drive home, about 10 miles (10 minutes) to ensure drying.

After getting home and dry out the grooved areas, I spray either M40 or Natural Shine under the hood and let it soak while I work on the rest of the car. After a while, I open the hood and wipe down the big stuff (engine covers, air cleaner box etc).

Now that it's maintained, I just use the hose at home and use APC AS NEEDED which is hardly as I maintain it pretty good. I should add that I don't have any current leaks so, my problem living in a rural area is just dusting and I sometimes lightly mist the engine bay with APC. I have used Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner and Eagle One All Wheel/Tire cleaner, figured it's safe on rubber and painted stuff, should be okay under the hood.....

Just be careful and be aware of where you electronics are. I've heard stories on some GM cars that once a componet gets wet, it's done so be careful.

Not like the old days where you take the cap off and spray with wd-40 put it back on to get out of the huge puddle you thought it would be cool to blast through with your Chevelle and stalled it, not that I've done that.....
        Last edited by Nappers; Dec 6, 2008, 12:17 PM.
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Great!! thanks that helps a lot.

Comment

Just please be careful on your electronics. I have never run into a problem with my vehicles and they are newer either at the coin op or at home with the hose. A lot of people cover the alternator/electronics, I do not.....

Comment

I would shop vac it with an attachment with a brush on the end to start with. Then you can do what Nappers suggested, or sometimes I even just spray a bunch of Meguiar's APC+ on the engine and wipe it off without ever rinsing it. Then I follow that with a good spray down of Hyper Dressing (If you do not have this product, GET IT!) and let it soak.

Comment

I dont have any prof. line products yet...all i have is stuff they sell at autozone. I think im going to have to make a trip to a body shop and see what they have because i detailed my car w/ scratch x & NXT last week and i can still see some swirls & light scratches.

Comment

do a search on the Meguiar's site and see what paint and body stores has the pro stuff in your area and call them .

You also have Meguiars direct site

and some other online retailers Auto Detailing Solutions

and Kevin Brown of this site is a authorized dealer with the know how.

I think RaskyR1 is a dealer too, not sure.

Have fun

Comment

Basically, spray the cold-warm engine down with an All Purpose Cleaner (Simple Green diluted to about 20:1, Meguiar's APC/APC+ diluted to 10:1) or soapy wash water, scrub, rinse, start the engine to help dry, put a dressing on if you want, done.

Yesterday I washed my Neon engine again. I used an old wash mitt with my bucket of soapy water. I sprayed the engine off, scrubbed with the mitt, and rinsed. Done.

Here is a post of mine copied from the old archive (with new pictures since the old ones are gone):

Total Time: 20 Minutes
                    Process/Products Used
                    Sprayed the warm engine down liberally with APC+ diluted 10:1
                    Let it sit for 5 minutes
                    Sprayed off really good
                    Let the engine run for 5 minutes
                    Soaked up any excess sitting water
                    Sprayed Water Based Dressing undiluted over the entire engine bay, and let it sit for a couple of minutes
                    Wiped down the engine bay with a terry towel dampened with Water Based Dressing
                    Viola! Clean!

Of course, the pictures just don't capture the look of it in real life. Water Based Dressing is a definite good choice for under the hood.
                    I didn't scrub as this was more of a de-dusting of the engine. Had it actually been dirty dirty (which it never is), I would have simply gotten a brush or an old wash mitt and scrubbed everything a bit. Also, I wash the engine before the car so when I decide to put dressing on it, I wash off any that got on the paint while washing the car. I personally do not cover anything up as I have never had a problem with any of the engines I have ever cleaned using water. It is a "Do this at your own risk" things...

Here are some threads from the 1st page and half of the second. Technique and procedure is basically the same unless there is an extraordinary amount of grease or oil, etc...

How to choose and use the correct products to clean and dress engines, components, and engine compartments

How to choose and use the correct products to clean and dress engines, components, and engine compartments

Hope this helps explain everything for you a bit better. Let me know if you need anything else!
                    Last edited by roushstage2; Dec 6, 2008, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Wow that super clean Tyler good job man.. like the stang too

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');