• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use to clean Jeep engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to clean Jeep engine

I have a 94 Wrangler with 4.0L.. I am looking to clean the engine compartment but I dont want any oily shiney film left over to attract dirt. I would like to remove grease and grime from engine along with caked on dirt on the fenderwells and firewall. What are my options?

Re: What to use to clean Jeep engine

Step 1) Clean entire engine compartment with Safe D-greaser and some brushes. Before washing: Remove battery, cover up alternator, fuse box, and any other critical electrical areas with tin foil.

I like to remove air intake, airbox, and other easily removed items so you have better access to clean the engine compartment and also clean those items better. Saran wrap and tape over any hoses or intake passages you have opened up.

Step 2) Dry. I like to use the leaf blower.

Step 3) Spray entire engine compartment with Hyperdressing

Step 4) Smell Hyperdressing for a while

Step 5) Reassemble

Step 6) Admire

Take a look at my post:
    How to choose and use the correct products to clean and dress engines, components, and engine compartments

Also do a search on Hyperdressing and Safe D-Greaser for many other useful posts.
    It's only weird because it's not normal

www.project-one.us

Comment

there are going to be some areas that I will not be able to access with a brush.. will the Safe D-greaser remove the dirt without scrubbing it? Does Hyperdressing leave an oily armorall type film after done? Im trying to keep away from that wet look cause it usually attracts dirt/dust.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomin0074 View Post
        there are going to be some areas that I will not be able to access with a brush.. will the Safe D-greaser remove the dirt without scrubbing it? Does Hyperdressing leave an oily armorall type film after done? Im trying to keep away from that wet look cause it usually attracts dirt/dust.
        The Safe D-greaser along with a blast of water from the hose should take almost everything off.

Hyperdressing leaves a finish that you can vary from very low gloss to very shiny depending on the dilution. It doesn't really attract much dirt at all. A lot less than what I thought it would. It's not a tacky/sticky finish but somewhat slick.

The best part is, that even if it does get dirty/dusty, you just hose it off with water and reapply the Hyperdressing. Dirt doesn't stick anymore because of the layer of Hyperdressing. You shouldn't really need to degrease and clean much again.

www.project-one.us

Comment

I can't find a product called Safe D-greaser. I'm not familiar with the whole product line. Has it been replaced with something new?
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Safe D-greaser has been obsoleted.

Use either:
            Super D-greaser (more powerful) or
            All Purpose Cleaner Plus (Similar or a little less in strength).

I never thought Safe D-greaser was all too strong. I'm probably going to try some Super for my next go at underhood cleaning.

www.project-one.us

Comment

I'm learning the extensive line, so it might take a while to memorize it all.
              AeroCleanse, LLC
              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Use some APC and use the least amount of water as possible. Like the they said cover any electrical sensors Ive had some go bad getting them wet while washing.
                01 Tacoma 4x4 X/C V6 Imperial Jade

"Oh, oh Marty, here's you keys. You're all waxed up, ready for tonight"
                Biff Tannen

Comment

Looks like you have some serious cleaning to do there. This is what I have done on several compartments in far worse shape.
                  1. Super Degreaser doused liberally.
                  2. Work the problem areas with regular round parts brush. (from any good Auto Parts store)
                  3. Repeat as needed.
                  4. Hose off with just the regular garden hose nozzle. (not set for too much Hi Press spray) Avoid spraying directly onto electrical components. If in doubt, cover with tin foil, as in use your own good judgement. If in doubt, cover or remove it. I have had no problems, but do take care.
                  5. Douse liberally with All Season Dressing EVERYWHERE while still wet.
                  6. Close hood, let sit overnight.
                  7. Morning, open hood wipe where needed with a cheapie terry towel.
                  8. VOILÀ! After a short trip or two, any greasy film that might be left will dissipate.
                  All of these products can be obtained from Auto Detailing Solutions.
                  Last edited by BINGO53; Dec 14, 2007, 04:04 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I have some local suppliers for the professional stuff. I haven't talked to them yet other to find that stock it.
                    AeroCleanse, LLC
                    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Greased Lightning Orange Blast.!!!!

Spray engine, let it sit, then pressure wash spray 2 feet away from wires and electrical things. Otherwise gets closer to firewall etc....
                      That engine looks pretty safe, compared to newer vehicles I've done..
                      Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
                      ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
                      (269)650-2242

Comment

Thats a jeep, run it through a mud hole to clean the Engine..
                        Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                        Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Originally posted by BlueLibby04 View Post
                          Thats a jeep, run it through a mud hole to clean the Engine..
                          Touche. Touche.

Comment

Hehe.

All kidding aside, it looks like that I-6 will need some De-greaser. Probably Super Degreaser. It some great stuff and you can dilute it as needed. 4:1 would probably be best for that engine.

Watch the distributor cap, it may get wet and not fire properly. Ive had that happen on the I-6's before.

edit: just noticed this was from march. Im getting tired of all these old threads.
                            Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                            Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

When an old post is brought back, whoever does it, please make a note of it!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');