• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this ok?

I plan on detailing my engine tommorow and want to know a couple of things......

is PURPLE POWER (the degreaser) safe to use in my engine compartment?

Is there something thats cheaper and comes in a smaller package than hyper dressing that I can use to make the engine bay shiny?

Also is there a good chance that by doing this ill spring a leak somewhere on the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrashock
      Also is there a good chance that by doing this ill spring a leak somewhere on the engine?
      what do you mean by spring a leak?

i dont know how you wash an engine, but i'd imagine its hard to break a hose so that fluid leaks by just spraying water and cleaner on it.

there however, is a greater chance of spraying water on an electrical part that doesnt need water sprayed on it. read the different threads in the engine detailing thread to figure out what to cover and how
      Lancer Evolution VIII
      I4T

Comment

ok what i mean by springing a leak is by taking some of the sludge out (which may have plugged up some holes in the rubber hoses, or sealed up a gasket somewhere), therefore giving me leaks in the vacuum system and causing gaskets to fail............

.....its the same worry that people have when they run synthetic oil, they are worried that taking out the sludge will break a seal.

im not too worried about the electrical system

Comment

Being worried about it is nothing more that being worried about it. Just don't have the engine running or oil caps off and you'll be OK. Grab a bottle of Natural Shine to shine it up when your done cleaning.
          Watch your pennies and your dollars will take care of themself.

Comment

Re: Is this ok?

I am always hearing or reading where someone doesn't want to cause leaks to happen while cleaning or changing oil or changing types of oil etc. It sound feasible at first especially if they sound confident. But after thinking about it, isn't this a red herriing? It's saying your car/engine is held together with dirt and/or grease?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky161 View Post
              I am always hearing or reading where someone doesn't want to cause leaks to happen while cleaning or changing oil or changing types of oil etc. It sound feasible at first especially if they sound confident. But after thinking about it, isn't this a red herriing? It's saying your car/engine is held together with dirt and/or grease?
              I ended up doing this anyway, didnt cover up anything and used a pressure washer. I was careful and nothing bad happened although i did not get very good results (still dirty looking). Also i wouldnt doubt that the engine in my truck is held together with grease and dirt haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrashock View Post
                I plan on detailing my engine tommorow and want to know a couple of things......

is PURPLE POWER (the degreaser) safe to use in my engine compartment?

Is there something thats cheaper and comes in a smaller package than hyper dressing that I can use to make the engine bay shiny?
                having used purple power in the past, it has eaten the paint off where concentrated spraying occured. Just be careful with it, especially on exterior paint.

It may take more than one application to work. I start my car and let it run a minute or two to warm up the grease which makes it a little easier to get off.

Happy cleaning

Aaron
                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

take your time. take your time. take your time.

pressure washer NOT NEEDED.

mist of water.

spray on mist of water. spray on Safe D-Greaser or APC 10:1. let sit. agitate for a bit. let sit. rinse off. repeat if needed. dress with HYPER DRESSING.

Comment

Also,

With Big lots getting some Meguiars goodies, I bought that yellow spoke brush with the rubber end and it works great for under the hood, to get in those nooks and crannies with a soft brush and mild scrubbing, worked great on the Neon.

L8R

Aaron
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');