• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lt1 engine clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt1 engine clean

I just picked up my first lt1 engine and Iam a little worried about cleaning it. I have heard with the opti spark if you get any cleaner around there it can really mess it up. I have CD2 cleaner which is awsome and it says just to spray every where but I dont want to mess up my engine. Any suggestions or advice would be awsome.
    -Brandon
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/lt1_man/sig3.jpg

My second car was a 94 Z28, and if there's one thing I can tell you, DON'T WET THE OPTISPARK! I've had problems with it driving through mild puddles, causing a need for replacement. You must cover it off VERY well, and you may consider getting one of the newer sealed cases(MSD and some other company whose name I can't remember) if you ever need to replace it.
    I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Thanks that is what I was worried about. Iam not going to sprays it down with water just the CD2 cleaner. Should I just put tape around the opti spark? I dont really know what else I can do.
      Thanks Brandon

Comment

I've done OK with the Opti by wrapping it with aluminum foil. Then just try to *not* direct anything right at it. Never had a problem and I've had a few LT1s. Some other people claim that it's OK to get them wet and just let them dry out but I'm not gonna experiment myself Better safe than sorry IMO and I've heard the other side of the argument (e.g., what happened to gbackus) too.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Cool I think I will give it a try and see what happens.
          -Brandon

Comment

I think in '95 they redesigned the optispark and sealed it, so it depends on the year.
            Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001
              I think in '95 they redesigned the optispark and sealed it, so it depends on the year.
              The 95+ opti upgrade was actually a venting, not a sealing. Opti-spark's just plain **** sometimes.
              I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Ive soked and clean my engine 4 times and didnt cover the opti and never had problems, my car has over 130,000 miles.

Comment

Don't wet it!

No need to wet the opti, my 93 Vette has the original
                  with no problems...but there's no way I'll chance a several Hundred Dollar bill and potential downtime that wetting could give. You can't really see the opti, even from below where you need to be to replace it of you have a bad o ring and get it wet enough. Best bet is to wipe the visible areas down with your favorite APC and dress with a dampened MF.

If you want more detail hit corvetteforum.com and do a search.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');