• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning under hood rug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning under hood rug?

What is everyone using to clean the underhood rug/mat that are found on some vehicles? My Ranger's mat is looking pretty dirt, and wiping it down with a slightly damp rag (damp with only water) isn't quite enough to make it look nice. Any tips?
    2003 Mach 1
    Azure Blue
    5 speed/IUP
    2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    KY Horsepower

I mist some Meguiars APC on a terry cloth towel. I also have used my wet/dry vacuum on it. Do the vacuum first, then follow up with the APC.
    -Bob
    NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

So that return it to the original black/dark color it was when new and not harm the material?
      2003 Mach 1
      Azure Blue
      5 speed/IUP
      2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
      KY Horsepower

Comment

Is it perfect, like brand new....no. But it is significantly better. It's fairly close to looking new.

I did this process to a 1998 Corvette that was really dirty under the hood. The owner was very pleased with the results.

You are spraying the APC onto the cloth, not the hood pad. So you will not be getting lots of product on the pad. Which means no damage to the hood pad. I do this with my own corvette and it works well.
        -Bob
        NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

I hose the rug down, spray on some APC, give it a scrub with a brush and then rinse. Leave the hood open and allow it to dry.

Ben

Comment

would it be okay to use safe d- greaser on the black matt under the hood? Sry to high jack the thread. I think it's used for insulation so that the hood on the top surface wouldn't be hot. So what would be safe for it besides apc?

Comment

The 'rug' is also a fire supressant.

I would imagine Safe-Degreaser would be ok to use. It might not be quite as much of a foaming cleanser, but you should be able to wipte it on and scrub a little if needed.

I would be sure to wipe down with a wet towel after, to make sure residue is removed.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

used to use EXTRA on it and it worked well
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by F-150
                  would it be okay to use safe d- greaser on the black matt under the hood? Sry to high jack the thread. I think it's used for insulation so that the hood on the top surface wouldn't be hot. So what would be safe for it besides apc?
                  I've used Safe D-Greaser with great results.

Ben

Comment

Rick from autodetailingsolutions helped me out with this and check out the pics under "preparing to detail engine compartment". I used apc plus and didn't hose down the mat. I first vacuumed it. Then spray apc plus on a terry cloth, wiped on, wiped off with damp terry cloth(it had only water on it) I sprayed around the mat and used safe d greaser for the surrounding (which I rinsed off of course and terry dried)

Here's the link:
                    Preparing the Detail Engine Compartment

Sorry I forgot to take a before pic of the mat, just picture the dirty muddy water splattered all over the engine as pictured, on the matt and that's what it looked like.
                    Last edited by F-150; Apr 1, 2006, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');