• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compounding... What is it, am I dumb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compounding... What is it, am I dumb?

Compounding... Seems the word is tossed around here and there so what is it?
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

It means using a heavy cutting product like #85 Diamond Cut Compound, or #84 Compound Power Cleaner.

Typically you’d do it to remove really deep defects like scratches from wetsanding, mega oxidation or acid rain pitting.

You usually have to follow up with a finer cutting polish like #83 to restore gloss.

PC.

Comment

With what PC said, I think many people also think of compounding as using a "liquid sandpaper". That is, something with abrasvies that do not break down, so different grades of compounds are needed, from medium to fine. So people will have a compound to remove scratches, then another mild compund/abrasive polish to remove the scratches from the compound.

Sort of gets a bad name when old fashioned compounds are used, which are harsh on clear coats becasue of the fine scratches left behind.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I used a compound made by Dupont on my father's car years ago. I was trying to find the holy grail of detailing back in the late 60's and early 70's by using this product, but all I found was the primer paint.
        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
          I used a compound made by Dupont on my father's car years ago. I was trying to find the holy grail of detailing back in the late 60's and early 70's by using this product, but all I found was the primer paint.
          Primer kind of gives a vehicle that unique look, one of a kind.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

All I found was primer paint
            See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

COMPOUNDS ARE A CHEMICAL PRODUCT, LIQIUD OR PASTE, AS YOU PREFER THAT ARE DESIGNED TO REMOVE SURFACE IRREGULARITIES ON AUTOMOTIVE PAINT.

THEY CAN BE FORMULATED WITH SILICA WHICH IS A HARD ABRASIVE THAT DOES NOT BREAKDOWN WHEN USED AND FORMULATED WITH ALUMINUM OXIDE A LESS AGGRESSIVE ABRASIVE THAT WILL BREAKDOWN

THEY ARE TO BE USED WITH A HIGH SPEED ROTARY BUFFER AND EITHER A 100% WOOL; POLY WOOL/BLEND OR FOAM CUTTING PAD.

WHICH PAD DEPENDS ON THE PAINT FINISH AND THE PROBLEM.

USUALLY YOU DO NOT NEED A WOOLPAD ON CLEAR COATS.

COMPOUNDS ARE USUALLY A COMBO OF BOTH SILICA AND ALUMINUM OXIDE AND AVAILABLE IN GRIT SIZES 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000 AND MICRO FINE. TODAY'S PAINT FINISHES DON'T REALLY NEED MORE THAN A`2000 AND MICRO FINE. YOU CAN KEEP A LITTLE 1200 AND 800 FOR EXTRAORDINARY SITUATIONS.

IF YOU USE A COMPOUND AND A CUTTING PAD YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO FOLLOW THAT WITH A BUFFER, FINISHING PAD AND A SWIRL REMOVER-POLISH, THEN A WAX OR SEALANT.

NO REAL MAGIC HERE, JUST BASIC CHEMISTRY AND SOME KNOWLEDGE ABOUT PRODUCTS AND PROCESSES.

BUD ABRAHAM
              DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');