• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Softeners -- What are you folks using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Softeners -- What are you folks using?

I'm in the market for a water softener and am seeking some insight from those of you who are either detailing in a shop or doing mobile detailing.

What are you all using?

The water in my immediate area is VERY high in calcium and water spotting is about to drive me to drink. I've considered in-line water filters but, with the cost of filters, I'm going to be blowing through them at an alarming rate and thus, don't really want to shell out continual money for filters. I've looked at some resin filters but, recharge time would be difficult doing several washes per week...

With that in mind, what do you all suggest? I'm getting desperate.

Thanks folks!

RP
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Ionics
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

This may be a little late for you, but I have a resin filter that works great. I can go about 900 Gallons between recharges, and it's set up to recharge at 3 AM when it needs to. No inconvienence unless you're an early bird and like to start detailing before 5 AM
      1999 Ford Contour SVT
      Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
      1966/2760

Comment

I was thinking of getting this -

Anyone have experience with these less expensive resin filters?

Comment

try this link; a guy i work just bought one of these units and it also had a whole house filter unit on it, very slick, the RO systems are great also.
          We sell a complete line of water filters, water purifiers, reverse osmosis and water softeners

Kevin
          Kevin

Comment

try this link; a guy I work with just bought one of these units and it also had a whole house filter unit on it, very slick, the RO systems are great also.
            We sell a complete line of water filters, water purifiers, reverse osmosis and water softeners

Kevin
            Kevin

Comment

I looked at the Pure Earth car wash kit and it's very expensive for what it is, a plastic container for a water filter. The problem is that it costs $22 for a replacement filter, good for 12-22 car washes (likely 12), a Mr Clean Autodry filter last almost that long for $5.

I sent away for the Waterstick and see how well that does, no filters required. I'll test it both with my TDS meter and a car wash.

Comment

water sofners

I thought u were interested in a whole house system? Am I wrong if you are go to the softeners and go to the bottom of page and get all the models look at the 268-760 computer controed model it regenerates by the amout of water used not by the amount of days, also if u add the kdf-55,or-85 meda filter it perfilters the water before going into the system, to remove chorine and such, now this could be plumbed out to the garage before the softener and u would get filtered water. It all depends on your area water but they have the water test kits that will tell you what type system is best for you.
                Kevin
                Kevin

Comment

I got the Waterstick and tried it out and it's no good. My tap water is 415 PPM of dissoved solids, after going through this device it's about 525 PPM so the amount of solids went up so I wasn't optimistic. I washed the car using the water stick an hand dried everything except the trunk, let that air dry. The water spots were there as expect and required a little effort to remove so there's zero benefit to this device. I used it out of the box and I went through a recharge (1/4 cup of salt and 16 oz of water poured into it, shaken for 15 seconds and flushed for 15 seconds). It didn't make a difference, same as before.

Comment

Anyone ever tried the SPOTFREE H20 system?

ADS has these but, I'm still looking for some feedback before I really jump on the boat. I can't seem to find much of ANYTHING along the lines of reviews out there...

HELP!

RP
                    -The Final Detail-
                    Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

Let me take back my advice of "ionics". I used them for over 8 years and decided not to put up with their bad customer service any longer. I am now a new client of US FILTER. www.usfilter.com

I have been using them for about three weeks now and the difference is like day and night.
                      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I have a contact with US Filter through work... I might try to give him a call to figure out what it'd cost to get de-i... Thanks SS!

But, before I do... anyone tinkered with that SPOTFREE H20 system?

RP
                        -The Final Detail-
                        Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

Water softeners & Deionizers for car washing

The Car Washing Water Stick works well in areas with low TDS (total dissolved solids) which are not removed by water softening alone, which only removes calcium, magnesium and some iron. The reason Serious Enthusiast above couldn't get good results is due to him being in a very high TDS area (Laguna Beach, CA) and because the Water Stick he purchased was a sodium based Deionizing unit (regenerated with salt), the salt residue left after regeneration raised his TDS reading with the test unit he was using. To resolve this problem we have developed a new "Car Washing Deionizer/Softener" which is not sodium based but hydroxide based to handle higher TDS situations. The downside here is that hydroxide based resins cannot be regenerated with salt...the resin must be replaced when it has collected all the minerals it can hold. This makes it more expensive to use. Best to check with your water company to find out what the TDS (total dissolved solids) are in your water. If 100ppm or less the "Car Washing Water Stick" should work fine, but if the TDS is higher than 100ppm you will need the "Car Washing Deionizer/Softener" for best results. Read feedback on these units on eBay http://search.ebay.com/PORTABLE-WATE...fkrZ1QQfromZR8 or go to the web site http://watersticks.com
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');