• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I have learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I have learned

I have been running Showroom Mobile Automotive Detailing for 3 years now and thought it might be good to share what I have learned.

1.Good customer service is usually more important than the detail itself. Customers value the intangibles like service quality and respect.

2. Make sure to follow up with all of your customers. Customers feel appreciated when you call to check in after the detail.

3. Word of mouth will open more doors than any other form of advertising. Give out more than one business card to every customer so that they can recommend you.

4. Be friends with your suppliers, they will help you out with costs and new products as well as demo equipment to try out.

5. Make a professional website and be sure to list everything about your business. Intuit websites makes a great tool for building your own for 20 a month.

6. Make sure your customers can find you! Websites like yelp,manta,city search,local,merchant circle, yahoo and google offer free business pages which will help when customers are searching for detailing in your area.

7. Adwords are a cheap way to be on top of google when other SEO tactics are not working.

8. Have a diverse set of chemicals. There is no product that does everything and from what I have found most chemicals have multiple uses.

9. Take time, most customers are willing to give you all the time you need to make their car perfect.

10. You cannot please everyone, no matter what eventually you will have a dissatisfied customer don't take it to heart, do everything you can to please them but don't dwell on it.

11. Put your logo on everything you own. Vistaprint.com offers affordable marketing products

12. Never stop improving your process. Look for new and innovative ways to detail(products,services,ect) HID kits, windshield repair, Paintless dent repair, paint protection film and interior repair are some add on services that are options.

13. Steam is awesome, get a steam cleaner it saves on chemicals 10 fold and you only use hot water.

14. Rv's can be a huge help to your business and Meguiars makes a killer RV line of products.

15. Talk to everyone about your business. Most everyone has a vehicle that can be cleaned(well most everyone) and just about everyone will take your card if you supply it.
    16. Find a way to relate to your customer, People will like you more if there is something similar between you.

17. Find another detailer you can rely on, If you are mobile most likely you will not be able to take care of everyone especially during the summer(I’m usually booked 3 wks in advanced) I have found another mobile detailer in town who has comparable services to mine so that when I’m overbooked I can send business to him and when he is overbooked he sends business to me.

18. Up sell on services show that a service is needed. IE clay bar on paint or scotchgard to minimize stains, customers will usually understand especially if you can demo the product for them and show a difference.

19. Determine where you want to be in the market. What I mean by this is either be low cost or differentiate your services do not be stuck in the middle. My strategy being mobile is to keep prices low and work on volume since my overhead is low. I also offer one premium package that customers also like so that I still get the high end clientele.

20.My final tip is to take a day off, detailing will not be fun if you do not give some time for yourself.
    Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Re: Things I have learned

Well written Sir.

Bill

Comment

I have only been detailing for a couple months now, but everything you listed seems to be completely accurate. Most importantly, I have found that the relationships become more important than the work itself. Going out of your way to keep people happy is the cheapest and fastest way to grow a business.

Anyone that is considering detailing as a business should read this list and try to follow it. Good work!

-Ben

Comment

any opinion on a brand or style of steam cleaner? i'm thinking of cleaning/detailing cars on the side for some extra cash and at first i will probably be using a spray, scrub and **** method until i can get some sort of steam cleaner

Comment

spray, scrub and vacuum i guess, sorry

Comment

I've got a Tr5 pro by pure green for my steam cleaner. Steamitclean.com

My extractor is a mytee s300 tempo
            Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Comment

Awesome write up. I've been detailing for the last six years - all mobile - and I would agree with pretty much everything in this list. Anyone starting out should check out and follow it. The comments about relationships, customer service, follow-up, word of mouth, and taking your time to do things right will grow your business more than any advertising campaign you can spend money on.
              Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

[QUOTE=Showmob;498853]I have been running Showroom Mobile Automotive Detailing for 3 years now and thought it might be good to share what I have learned.

1.Good customer service is usually more important than the detail itself. Customers value the intangibles like service quality and respect.

2. Make sure to follow up with all of your customers. Customers feel appreciated when you call to check in after the detail.

3. Word of mouth will open more doors than any other form of advertising. Give out more than one business card to every customer so that they can recommend you.

4. Be friends with your suppliers, they will help you out with costs and new products as well as demo equipment to try out.

5. Make a professional website and be sure to list everything about your business. Intuit websites makes a great tool for building your own for 20 a month.

6. Make sure your customers can find you! Websites like yelp,manta,city search,local,merchant circle, yahoo and google offer free business pages which will help when customers are searching for detailing in your area.

7. Adwords are a cheap way to be on top of google when other SEO tactics are not working.

8. Have a diverse set of chemicals. There is no product that does everything and from what I have found most chemicals have multiple uses.

9. Take time, most customers are willing to give you all the time you need to make their car perfect.

10. You cannot please everyone, no matter what eventually you will have a dissatisfied customer don't take it to heart, do everything you can to please them but don't dwell on it.

11. Put your logo on everything you own. Vistaprint.com offers affordable marketing products

12. Never stop improving your process. Look for new and innovative ways to detail(products,services,ect) HID kits, windshield repair, Paintless dent repair, paint protection film and interior repair are some add on services that are options.

13. Steam is awesome, get a steam cleaner it saves on chemicals 10 fold and you only use hot water.

14. Rv's can be a huge help to your business and Meguiars makes a killer RV line of products.

15. Talk to everyone about your business. Most everyone has a vehicle that can be cleaned(well most everyone) and just about everyone will take your card if you supply it.
                16. Find a way to relate to your customer, People will like you more if there is something similar between you.

17. Find another detailer you can rely on, If you are mobile most likely you will not be able to take care of everyone especially during the summer(I

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');