• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From hobby to professional - need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From hobby to professional - need input

Ok so this is the deal. For some years ive been working on my own car and some friends. Veterans and enthusiasts started showing up in my front yard and it seemed alot of people thought my work was way better than the large detailing companies in the city where i live (norway).

2 years ago the local mercedes dealership contacted me after talking with some taxi owners (most taxis here are upperclass mercedes) that used me from time to time and they wanted to discuss the possibility for me starting a detailingservice at their place. This was postponed due to the financial crisis but a couple of weeks ago they called again and wanted to take a new shot at it.

Ive been offered a part of the main garage building (lots of space), they will cover the expenses for all the equipment needed and were looking into details concerning how much to charge and how much time to use and what procedure for an avarage detail.

So the thing im unsure about is the last. Ive never thought about time before and have only been doing this for fun until now. I guess i need to find some steps to keep up with to make sure that profit is balanced with the time used and also keeping it simple while giving the customer the quality they want.

I guess i would divide it into:

- exterior/interior cleaning
    - plain detailing with moderate scratch removal, clay and sealant
    - same as above but with more steps and better result with more hours used, less concerned with total price, "premium solution"

The question then is, what products to use and how much time to expect for an avarage sedan/coupe? I have been focusing mainly on the M8X products so far but i guess the detailer series would be worth checking out now since time would be more important.

Any suggestion and tip would be greatly appreciated.

Re: From hobby to professional - need input

Will you be hired on like an employee, making a hourly wage or salary....

Or will you be doing each vehicle on a car by car basis.

There are a lot of different ways that it can go. If they will be providing a steady supply of work and supplying the building and supplies then a salary, or hourly wage may be better for all.

If its more of a part time situation then I would think each vehicle would need priced as to what it needs.
    Adam

Comment

Originally posted by ANeat View Post
      Will you be hired on like an employee, making a hourly wage or salary....

Or will you be doing each vehicle on a car by car basis.

There are a lot of different ways that it can go. If they will be providing a steady supply of work and supplying the building and supplies then a salary, or hourly wage may be better for all.

If its more of a part time situation then I would think each vehicle would need priced as to what it needs.
      Ive been given several possible solutions to this:

- hired by the company making a monthly wage and overtime if necessary + bonus
      - setup a company myself, being a "part" of the mercedes dealership, getting customers from their clients and they provide the facilities and equipment. That would mean i run the whole show and also would make much more money if we run it correctly

The decission is one of the reasons i need to find out some figures about hours and steps to use so i can calculate prices and income and how much time would be used to generate it. The dealership makes about 60 million $ each year on sales and service for their customers and the main reason (or so they say at least) to making a car detailing service available is that alot of customers has desired this. I would also be selling detailing equipment in their shop (their suggestion) and their mechanics would suggest detailing service to customers having their cars in for service if they see that the paint could need it. Also the winter is hard over here so sealant is a nice salespitch also.

Comment

Well being hired on as employee is certainly a lot less risky for you.

Setting up your own business has a lot more risks but more rewards as well as you stated.

Im not sure I would like the idea of running your own business but being under the dealers roof so to speak.

As for prices I mean the entire spectrum of "detailing" ,,,, It can be a process that lasts several days and be over $1000.00 per car or it can be a half hour wash and dry for $20.00

Sounds like the dealership has something in mind and you have gotten their attention as someone that can help make it happen.
        Adam

Comment

Yea thats what i feel also. And i allready have a job and own a part of a marketing/signage company where i administer several webshops and develop strategies for these. This is a job almost like playing monopoly and also is something i prefere to do in the evenings and in the weekends since the customers make their orders mainly after workhours. I was therefore thinking about combining the two. Making it alot less risky since my demands are no investment on my part and also that i dont signa a contract about being personally responsible for rent and that this will have to be deducted from customers that they provide for me. I also want the same perks as the workers in the dealership. So that i can feel as a part of the company even though it would be my company.

When it comes down to prices, i have looked at the best compeditors and i see that they charge around 500 USD for a wash+clay+basic scratch removal without sealant. Something in the same results as a wash+clay+dry+M80 would give. They charge around 250-400 USD extra for sealant.

Concidering prices and living costs in norway are extremely high (not to forget taxes) this is not nearly as good as it might sound to you But since i have no experience in doing detailing after a "plan" and dont have a clue on what would be the best combination of time and result and also how long time you would plan on using for a detail i need some input. I have read good stuff about the D151 and perhaps a wash-clay-D151 combination would be a nice standard package?

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');