• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? opinion , what would you do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? opinion , what would you do...

k , here is the situation i was into:
    i was recomanded to see this client cars. got there and at first we spoke about 2 of them. i inspect the condition of the cars , explain my process , show him paint defects etc.
    went home and for each car i did at least 2+ different quotes with detail list of what`s included and of course each quote was price based on process/time.
    now... he choose the more expensive quotes and his words was: " i want to see a discount for 2cars , and xxx should be for both". well xxx was 20% off from my initial quotes. if i put taxes ,insurance , materials...hello?!
    the cars:
    -1 black suv ( known as paint be difficult to correct) trash inside , 1 step machine polisher.
    -1 sport car , quote for 2 steps ,compound and polish / paint correction)

i back off this deal. i don`t want to work for people who don`t appreciate my work. i don`t negociate my price. if i give a quote it has a reason. if the suv was a different color i may... but on black and drop price, no way.

i choose to be my own boss, i choose my customers as they choose their service!
    i have few words , every time i hear them or anything similar i don`t take the job.

Question:
    what would you do in my situation?
    u may face it one day.
    proreflection
    *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Re: ? opinion , what would you do...

You can explain that to him. That you charge according to what you need to stay in business.

Offer him a different deal. Say I will do a one-step for each for that price.

Offer to meet him halfway, at 10% off.

If he continues to fight then tell him again what is involved and how much time it consumes. If he still fights then maybe he is not worth dealing with. Sometimes, those people who want that one price are very picky. You may do exactly what you quoted them for but becasue it wasn't perfect (even though they didn't pay for perfect) they may not recommend you to others.

All kinds of different possibilities.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn T. View Post
      is not worth dealing with. Sometimes, those people who want that one price are very picky. You may do exactly what you quoted them for but becasue it wasn't perfect (even though they didn't pay for perfect) they may not recommend you to others.
      All kinds of different possibilities.
      i explain on quotes i list everything and explain what the oprocess does and how much time is involved.
      i give him 2 and 3 different quotes , he choose the more expensive ones!
      even if i take the job i may run into what u just said above...
      proreflection

Comment

I just wouldn't deal with the guy. An auto shop isn't going to give you a discount if they work on 2 of your cars at the same time.....really no difference. You are providing a service and need to make money in order to stay in business!
        Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lightning View Post
          I just wouldn't deal with the guy. An auto shop isn't going to give you a discount if they work on 2 of your cars at the same time.....really no difference. You are providing a service and need to make money in order to stay in business!
          I agree. Tell him it is a "Take it or leave it" offer.
          Tedrow's Detailing
          845-642-1698
          Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

DON'T WORK FOR THIS GUY. Even if you perform miracles, he won't be satisfied. You will spend more unpaid time with him instead of developing new business. He will bad mouth you to his friends.

THE HARDEST THING TO LEARN IN BUSINESS IS KNOWING WHEN TO WALK AWAY.

Comment

thank`s guys , i just wanna see some opinions from others who run into this before.
              if he didn`t choose the more expensive ones and ask in a different way i may negociate. too late now.
              proreflection

Comment

I've been in this situation a couple times, and it's varied in a few aspects. If he wants a steak value for a hamburger price, #1 he's an idiot, #2 he thinks you're an idiot, #3 he wants a discounted price for his first vehicle, and you'll never see his 2nd vehicle...

He probably spoke about what he does for a career while you were small talking. Here's your opportunity. Get him on the phone, talk scheduling. Change the conversation. Ask him about how busy he is at work. You've got a buddy who's interested in...whatever he sells but will only commit at a substantial drop in price. When he goes silent/replies in mostly explicits, laugh in agreeance. "Yeah, I hear ya... You get what you pay for, that's what I told my buddy. Tell him you've just got an opening for Wednesday.

I'm a problem solver, that's what I do

Comment

I'm laughing in "agreeance" right now!

Comment

Walk.

Comment

Dont walk,

Try talking to him again.

I have been in your same situation multiple times and usually was able to work it out with the client.

Just be respectful and explain your concerns to him.
                      Nick
                      Tucker's Detailing Services
                      815-954-0773
                      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I think you did the right thing. Let him pay someone else for inferior work. I think he will be calling you back.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                          Dont walk,
                          Try talking to him again.
                          I have been in your same situation multiple times and usually was able to work it out with the client.
                          Just be respectful and explain your concerns to him.
                          agree but , his message was more pushy than negotiating. is a diference.
                          did you ever have the feeling that someone try to steal from you?
                          do your price resonable for the work you do and have 20% off them and see what i mean. take out from there another 15-20% for taxes ,insurance, materials and u end up working like a shoe seller on peanuts
                          proreflection

Comment

Being in the business, this is a tough one.....you definitely do not want to loose any business at all.

Try to find a way to educate him, tell him that you are not some "Butcher or Hacker" like you said you have all your ducks in a row....license, taxes, so forth......
                            The problem is once you discount for him or others, word will get around and you will have to discount for all......

I have also been in this type of situation, what you could do is offer him the discount for the next service if it's within a certain time frame. This way you get want you need to charge the first time, if he likes your services he can use the discount next time. I look for the long term business relationships with my clients.....not that type that like to use me or ask for all at a discount price....

Listen, when you go to Ruth Chris's Steak House, you pay for what you get....no discounts or 2 for 1 deals....if you want to eat the best fillet, be prepared to pay the price.....

I have learned, sometimes though you just have to say "No"
                            David M. Sylican
                            Innovative Detailing
                            Headlight Lens Restoral
                            Detailing Caddy
                            Join us on Facebook

Comment

So did you get in contact with him again?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');