• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shop? Mobile? Combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop? Mobile? Combo?

Getting ready to establish my detailing business and am stuck in my decision making!!!

My "gut" tells me to go mobile...but....it's the winter months that makes me think to go with a fixed location.

Maybe some MOBILE DETAILERS can shed some light on detailing in the winter.

I'm also not sure if I should be more of a PRODUCTION type business (dealerships, wholesale lots...ect) or go with more my speed of focusing on complete tip to tip detailing/paint correction (6+ hours of detailing per vehicle)

I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Tom

Re: Shop? Mobile? Combo?

In cold climate, Optimum No Rinse is a detailers best friend.

Chemical Guys Go-Green waterless wash is also very good if used properly.

Your BEST situation would be if you could do both a fixed location and be mobile.

There is very little satisfaction in doing quick turnaround business for me...it would simply be a means of making money. I also don't really consider that to be "detailing" so much as cleaning. Detailing to me is about the art of what you're doing and creating a finish that "wows" the owner, so I couldn't ever see myself doing something other than true detailing work.
    Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
    Houston Area Mobile Detailing
    www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Mobile will likely be your best opportunity for making the most money. Though I do know a few guys here are mobile that also have a fixed location for other jobs. If I had to choose though mobile would be where I go.

For cold weather as was said, optimum is good as is a product called croftgate. You will also want to tinker around with products as they can act different in the cold temps sometimes. Since you are starting you will probably want to take what you can get until you get your name out there and then can start picking out the more specific, longer, and more intensive jobs that are not only more fun but also a better pay off.

Comment

Thanks for the input on those products.....Will check them out!!!

My concern is that during the winter months our highway department is constantly spraying liquid de-icer on the roadways and gets vehicles covered from head to toe in a "film" of this chemical. A good pressure wash to the vehicle would be ideal prior to attempting any "detail" processes (including UNDERSIDE)....but how do you do that in January when it may be only 20*F outside? Anyone use a additive to their portable water tank that keeps the water from freezing and doesn't harm the vehicles surface?

My HOME garage is HEATED,AIR CON, Floor drain and well lit.....the rent price is right...FREE!!! .......but it is in a RESIDENTIAL area

I'm sure I could "sneak" some vehicles home to detail them properly...but it would be a little risky if someone turns me in.

Thoughts?, Advice?, Concerns?

Thanks!!!

Tom

Comment

Would someone actually turn you in? I have detailed vehicles at my home with no problems at all.
          Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
          Houston Area Mobile Detailing
          www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Originally posted by FinalTouchDetail View Post
            Would someone actually turn you in? I have detailed vehicles at my home with no problems at all.
            Most likely not....guess it can't hurt to try!!!!

I'm sure MANY detailers been working out of their home garages for ever!!!

I just concerned when I go to the town hall to REGISTER my business they will give me a hard time.

Comment

I have always worked at my home with no problems at all

Comment

You need to look into the local zoning bylaws for your city. Actually you don't have to, but your application will likely be rejected if you don't tailor it to what they want to hear.

I have a legitimate fully licensed home based business. I am familiar with the process. Your bylaws will like vary.

In my area there are 2 different classes of home based business. A Class 1 business is very non invasive. A Class 2 business (such as a detailing shop) has the potential to be invasive. ie. customers dropping off cars, noise etc. With a Class 1 business you submit your application and get you business license that day. With a Class 2 business, they inform the neighbors within a 200m radius of your home, of your application, at which point they have a couple of weeks to dispute the application.

There is a lot more to this stuff to learn, but you can easily read about it online, or go to the office that issues the licenses for a consultation or literature.

I would highly suggest the home based business license if you can make it happen. You can do both the mobile and the shop as the business grows. The tax benefits will be great.

Comment

I am mobile. I have a few wholesale clients that I do in my garage when I don't have any appointments. This works out perfect for me because they drop off and pickup the cars themselves. I charge them a flat fee for vehicles. They are steady with work. In regards to HOA I only do one car at a time so I won't bring too much attention.
                  Ultimate Custom Detailing LLC
                  WWW.ultimatecustomdetailing.com
                  770-771-9837

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');