• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussing price before or after detail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussing price before or after detail?

I had a customer drop a truck off at my house, I haven't looked at it yet. He just told me over the phone what he wants, but we never discussed a price.

Should I detail the truck, then tell him how much it is or should I call him beforehand to discuss the pricing??
    www.reflectionsautodetailing.biz

Re: Discussing price before or after detail?

I would recommend price discussion BEFORE any work. I would think it would eliminate any issues of pay before you expended your materials and labor. It may also be determined that less or even more detail effort be discussed/wanted based on a price discussion.
    Don
    "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Before. ALWAYS give a quote before you do the work.

If you wait until after you're done and he balks at the price, you've got little choice but to accept whatever he's willing to give you. Before you start working, it's a matter of either him accepting the price you agree on or you don't do the job and let him come pick his truck back up.

Comment

Always before.

If the quote is iffy, advise it maybe more. If they balk at least you did not start the job.

Comment

I am in a job that involves dispute resolution from very minor to very major litigation and I can tell you that the biggest mistake made is not ironing out all of the details in advance as to the work to be performed and the cost. It might seem like overkill, but it also helps to get it in writing. You may even be in a state that requires written estimates on anything vehicle related.

Comment

You wouldn't drop your car off at the repair shop and tell the master mechanic to "go to town" without getting a quote (at least I don't). Same thing with polishing a vehicle. I would be antsy about even touching a vehicle without the owner present to confirm any pre-existing paint damage before I started working on it. I'd recommend photo documenting your work before and after with time stamps on the pics.

Comment

Obviously the consensus is to quote the price before you start the work.

One more thing that I'd like to add, especially if you are doing work for friends... is to make it clear that payment is due, when they come to pick up the vehicle. If they can't afford to pay you until payday, then don't start the work until payday.

Comment

Something else that you might want to do before starting work is doing a walk-through of the vehicle with the client and make a record of any pre-existing damage. This would protect you as well as the client if there was damage when he picked the vehicle up and there was a dispute as to whether it was pre-existing or something you caused. Also, you could set their expectations as to what you could or could not fix or improve.

Comment

I would settle on a price before. There are too many people that think a complete detail is the production type at a dealer or car wash. When they get a bill for more then $80.00. They go into sticker shock. It is not worth it. Get it settled before you do any work.

It only takes one ex customer to flap his gums, to ruin a reputation.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Ok, I'll definately give the owner a call. He was going out of town this weekend, that's why he decided to just drop it off for the weekend. I finally got a change to look at it when I got home. It's a black 2001 Dodge 1500, looks like a re-paint and swirl city!
                    www.reflectionsautodetailing.biz

Comment

Another point I'd like to make is, I like to exceed my customers expectations. Without coming to an agreement prior to starting this becomes difficult. You can work your fingers to the bones and because expectations haven't been set. In the customers eyes, you may not even meet them. What you did may be perceived as normal.

Comment

I recently gave a quote, sight un-seen on a 2000 Trans Am Navy Blue Metallic (dark blue w/ flake)

It's a "Buddy" quote.

I basically told him....

60$ for a full ext. minus any polishing or buffing.
                        Wash, Clay, Tires (wash/dressing), Show Car glaze, NXT 2.0, windows

and for an extra 20$ (80$ total) would vaccume, spot clean, leather treatment, jambs, and dash/consol.

Thats IMO 120-160$ job all day long and I am going to spend time on it.

He balked and said he is tight on funds and would have to "get his lazy *** out there and do it himself"

Mind you he was after me for months when I showed my results. I guess it goes to show you.

Comment

Soooo hey just wondering but how does this story end lol?

Did you call him, what did he say...what did the price end up being...any pics!?
                          Wills Amstutz
                          Windows And Wheels Auto Detailing LLC
                          www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');