• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed

I have been detailing my cars and cars of family and friends. I have been kicking around the idea of detailing as a part time business. In order to make money I really need to pick up my speed. What methods do the professionals here use to be more time efficient while still providing quality work? Time is money. Are there certain sequences that I should employ to optimize my time?

Thanks

I Shine
    "What's the first rule when entering a man's car?"

"Respect a man's car, a man respects you."
    Transporter 2

Re: Speed

I am in the same boat as you are. I find i like to do a section at a time like a hood after a wash ,clay (entire car at once) polish and LSP, then move to fender.

Comment

Might be easiest if you list what you do now.

Usually, doing an entire car with each step is quicker than fully detailing a panel at a time, but what you like is up to you.

Would seem hard to keep from overlapping panels, and removing the previous 2 coats of wax on the next panel.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

For a complete detail it is taking me 2 days (6 to 8 hours a day)

Currently I first detail the engine.

wash the exterior and door jambs.

clay bar the exterior.

vacuum the interior.

shampoo the carpet and upholstery or clean and condition leather.

clean and treat vinyl and plastic.

mask off trim

polish with #105 and yellow pad.

Polish with #205 and yellow pad.

wax with NXT 2.0 and black pad.

remove masking tape and polish/wax build up from the edges of where the masking tape used to be.

dress exterior trim.

apply wax to rims and dress tires.

clean windows inside and out.

For a package like this I would like earn $250 to $350 depending on the size of the vehicle. I work solo and would like to do all of this in less time than 10 to 12 hours. But I have to maintain quality work. Because I'm a novice it is very important to that I learn good habits and techniques.

Thanks

Transporter 2

Comment

Let me ask this... Are you detailing show cars? Are you describing your packages as complete swirl removal, show car finish? Are you doing anything the customer isnt asking for, told about (waxing rims)?

Comment

I have never really had a real customer. I have only done details for family and friends. I have never charged anybody for a detail. A few people have insisted on giving me a "tip" for my time and trouble. I have mostly been doing details to hone my skills. I always try to under estimate the results of my details. So far everybody has been impressed. Most of my details I have removed most of the swirls. Some of them had excessive swirls and scratches but I was only willing to donate so much time into a free detail but they always looked good when finished. I never detailed a show car, only daily drivers.

The detail that I described would be my top of the line. I would also offer smaller and cheaper detail packages.

Before I actually go professional I need to further hone my skills and increase my speed.

Transporter 2

Comment

One thing pro's will do is use cleaner/waxes as appropriate, like #66, or PRC to allow steps to be skipped. That is esp important on daily drivers. A lot of the people who do the more 'daily driver' details wont nessicerily clay, worry about complete swirl removal, or wont do interiors, engines, unless a customer upgrades to those things. At times, it really does get to be a case of not doing what you arent paid for, even though we'd love to do more.

For instance, going #105 to wax. Or PRC only. Or PRC + wax. And then you do your best, using your best skills, but what PRC removes is what is removed.

Of course, practice helps you go faster as well, having all your tools together, not wandering around to find things. As mentioned, freeing up the interior/engine will allow more time for the exterior.

Then a person has to understand that if they want all of those things at once, or perfection, it will take a lot longer, cost more, etc. When you see someone like Nick doing a car to perfection, with claying, sanding/rotary and DA steps, interior, etc by himself, it was usually more than 1 day. This one was a month with help...

Working on an extreme makeover? Show it off/seek advice here. We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');