• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cruel Test Spot - This or that? - Reverse Bait & Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cruel Test Spot - This or that? - Reverse Bait & Switch

The Cruel Test Spot - This or that? - Reverse Bait & Switch

The Cruel Test Spot
    One thing I've done a lot of in my detailing career that's a little cruel, a little risky but sometimes very effective and that's to do a little test spot on the hood of a potential customer's car to show them what you can do and what can be done for their car's paint.

This can be very effective if the paint is horribly swirled-out or oxidized and of course if they're not ready to hire you after the test spot, then let them get back to you.

Cruel
    This is kind of cruel because since most people don't know how to create a totally clear, swirl free finish on their car's paint, by you doing this you'll have created a single spot that will stand out like a Sore Thumb in which their eyes, and all their friends eyes, will be attracted to each time they walk by and look at the car. It can even get you future clients you've never met before.

Risky
    It's also kind of risky because it's possible that the person could become annoyed by your artistic work if they decide they don't care if their car's paint looks good or not and want you to "even" out the finish which is another way of saying, "Free Detail". Now that's never happened to me personally but I can see where it's a potential risk. This is why it's very important to Evaluate the Customer before you Evaluate the Car.

Effective
    Assuming you make that one little spot look awesome they can either
    • Hire you to finish the car
    • Try to duplicate what you did on their own
    • Try to hire someone that can do what you did
    Be sure to point out using the sun or a Brinkman Swirl Finder Light that the results you created are clear, shiny AND swirl-free because any hack detailer can make paint shiny but they can't always make it clear and swirl-free. Using the "Cruel Test Spot Technique" is most effective if you can do on the hood of a car, usually towards the front driver's side, so every time the owner goes to their car they'll see a glimpse or teaser of how the entire car could look.

This or that? Your choice!
    My friend Joe aka Superior Shine has a twist on this that's a better marketing approach, what he'll do is two test spots, he'll show a prospective customer what a simple cleaner/wax will do and then he'll do a multiple-step process to a nearby section and then share a little about the difference in complexity, time, labor and materials and let the customer decide which option.

This is a surefire way to get the job because if they don't want the more expensive multi-step show car finish they'll usually want the high quality one-step approach as Joe is very good with any approach and a job is a job. Actually, in some ways, just doing a GREAT one-step is faster and you've already established and grounded their expectations so they're not out of this world.

Genius.

Reverse Bait & Switch
    I have yet another well-known detailer buddy that asked to remain anonymous, that has a twist on Joe's approach and that is to offer a very high dollar detail to a prospective customer with a high-end car but then also offer them their very good simple 2-step package that won't remove each and every scratch but will make the car absolutely glow and most of the time the prospective customer will go for the simple 2-step approach which is still in the $400.00 to $600.00 dollar range.

Genius.

Think about it...
    Maybe this will spark your imagination to modify one of these techniques or simply incorporate it into your marketing practices.

Copyright ©PBMA - Autogeekonline.net® All Rights Reserved.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: The Cruel Test Spot - This or that? - Reverse Bait & Switch

Forgot to add...

Important Note: Always have the owner's permission to touch their car before touching their car.

It's kind of common sense but thought I would add this because it's better to be safe than sorry...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike nice post and thank you for the mention.

Here are two other points of view. 1-Test spot performed not on paint but aluminum. 2- My test spot versus a competitors.

I was asked to come out and bid on the polish job for this WWII B-25 Mitchell. My bid was considerably higher than another companies bid that had already performed a test spot (left test spot) on a bomb bay door.

I did my test adjacent (right test spot) to theirs.

The rest is history .....

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

This is why it's very important to Evaluate the Customer before you Evaluate the Car.

I like the way you say this. Thanks Mike and Joe for speaking on this topic, great advice!
        "Every moment frontin and maxin
        Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
        "

Comment

I have also used the TEST SPOT method to show potential customers what they will be paying for. A lot of people not in the Detail world need educated on what it takes to achieve the results we do with multiple step details.

When I do a TEST SPOT I always use the driver's side of the hood and close to the windshield that way the owner see that spot all the time and the reflections of trees and overhead signs jump out to remind them where they need to take there vehicle.

Comment

• Great addition to the thread Joe.
            • Great tactic to employ on that project.
            • Great photography work!

Now I know why you always answer the phone,

Hello, and thank you for calling Joe, the World Famous Superior Shine!

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Great information Mike & Joe!
              Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
              www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
              Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Excellent points gentleman. Thanks for sharing. Makes a lot of sense.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Zuke View Post
                  This is why it's very important to Evaluate the Customer before you Evaluate the Car.

I like the way you say this. Thanks Mike and Joe for speaking on this topic, great advice!
                  In Joe's case it's very important to Evaluate the Customer before you EVALUATE THE PLANE!!!
                  Detailing blog: prodetailing.blogspot.com
                  Everything else: theseech.blogspot.com

Comment

Or anything that can produce a shine :p
                    "Every moment frontin and maxin
                    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                    "

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');