• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School me on Schooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on Schooling

I have been tinkering with the idea of getting into detailing as a business, but feel that I need some technique training first. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot by simply buying a bunch of products and learning as I go along on other people's cars.

I am not too worried about getting the business side right as I have an undergrad degree in Business Management and will be going to grad school in the fall for even more education.

I am interested in learning about the detail process itself. I have seen several places on line that offer training both hands on and on line. I haven't the slightest clue as to how to evaluate the programs or know whos a stud and whos a dud.

If any of you have any tips or advice on how to sift through this, I would love to hear from you!

Re: School me on Schooling

I think that is a good call to learn the techniques and skills of detailing before starting a business. I live in Southern California and there is a pretty good four day detailing program that goes on in Oceanside, CA. The organization is called The Total Pros. If you google the name something will come up. I went down there the other day and spoke to the owner and he seemed really friendly and knowledgeable. I had a buddy who went through the program and spoke very highly of it.

Adam

Comment

Thanks, Adam!

I'll look into that. Seems like a lot of the hands on programs are based in California. I was surprised that we don't have a training program of some sort out here in Dallas.

Comment

Hey William_F, if you find anything, please post it!! I'd be up for some detailing classes as well!
        2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
        Black Obsidian

Comment

Clutch, unfortunately, there's nothing here I could find in Dallas. Found that rather surprising, actually. Figured in such a large city, we'd have some kind of training available.

So far, the two I have found that look the most interesting to me are:

www.detailingsuccess.com and http://www.rightlook.com/

Both of the require travel. Detailing Success is based in Bosie, Idaho and Right Look is in Southern California if I remember correcty.

Comment

Seriously?! Wow...oh well, thanks for letting me know!

Ironically, I may be moving to Orange County this summer. So I'll be able to check out the training sessions in Irvine. lol
            2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
            Black Obsidian

Comment

If I could, I would travel to Cal, just for a detailing class. Wish Megs would come to Kansas City area, we have a number of member on here that lives within 3-4 hours of K.C..
              Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

You can always post up on Nick Chapmans thread for the detailing class going on Nov 14. You will have to be on the waiting list but someone may drop out. Even if you dont get in Nick is a great guy to talk to and always has some great advice to give!

Comment

probably the safest thing for you is, read the techniques and theories here on MOL and practice on a used Hood from a junk yard... once you are used to the junk yard hood, start by detailing a relatives car, then a friends car, and then strangers car :]
                  Ganesa,
                  Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');