• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would you approach this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how would you approach this?

so i've finally got a couple people outside friends and family (a couple memgbers of the local car forum) that wouldn't mind having their cars detailed by me after seeing a few of the cars i've worked on.

I was prepared to tackle one persons car when my parents have cut in and noted that i am setting myself up in a bad position, as i am not yet a licensed or registered business etc.

The problem here, lies in the fact that i do have a full time job, and would like to keep detailing as a side hobby/business for the time being, until maybe one day it might be my main career. Now because of this, it almost seems like i would be paying lots in business registry fees and insurance etc, than i would probably make back with the low low volume of cars i would be detailing.

So my question is, is there a way to keep things legal and protect yourself from a lawsuit and still get paid (although not as much as some "detailers" in a registered business), or do you think that the only way to approach this is to pay up to play....

Re: how would you approach this?

The legal way will cost you money no matter what. You can go into the detail assuming that if you mess up bad, then you are liable and owe them a paint job out of your pocket. I would choose the second if you are just doing a few cars per year.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Re: how would you approach this?

Honestly, I say cough up for a license and insurance. It only takes 1 mess up and before you know it, you're owing hundreds if not thousands of dollars. And factor this in, do 2-3 major details @$300 each, you've already made your license and insurance money back and more.

I like the saying, "You gotta' pay the costs, to be the boss."
      2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
      2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');