• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you make your customers sign a waiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you make your customers sign a waiver?

I'm starting to do more and more detail jobs, but it just so happens i run into the one where the paint cracks under the clear coat...happen to me twice out of 5 times...

Do you any of you guys have a form that the customer must fill out and maybe a waiver of liability if say you were buffing the car with a DA and something unexpected happens...but they signed the papers releasing you of liability...?

Re: do you make your customers sign a waiver?

No, that's why you need insurance.
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by CreamPuff View Post
      I'm starting to do more and more detail jobs, but it just so happens i run into the one where the paint cracks under the clear coat...happen to me twice out of 5 times...

Do you any of you guys have a form that the customer must fill out and maybe a waiver of liability if say you were buffing the car with a DA and something unexpected happens...but they signed the papers releasing you of liability...?
      FWIW from a customer's view point.
      If you ask me to sign a waiver, you won't be working on my car.
      Charles
      The Rainmaker

Comment

I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt that even if they would sign something like that you would likely still be liable for damages. Kind of like when they hand you a stub in a parking garage that states they aren't liable.....they are.

Mort

Comment

I used to has my customers sign a paper that stated that they said it was ok for me to work on their vehicle kind of like a shop that is doing a repair to your car. I also did a walk around and had them sign off on any problems that already existed. I had some pamplets of a generic car and I could mark where certain spots where that we found. NOthing crazy though, just to try and protect me against existing defects. I think they are right though that nothing is fool proof. I would say that if you have someone ask you to do something that you no is very risky I would turn them away on that part. The way laws are you might end up having to pay even if they did sign and say you could try. I think there is a lawyer online that might could chime in!

I found the name - 3Fitty - pm or hopefully he will see this and post.

Comment

I could see having them sign a waiver for cleaning a motor...
            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Yeah what he said - You might have to back that up with products that will be used and method used - not really sure but yeah - that would probably more costly then a paint job if they could pin it on you.

Comment

Tommy,

The only thing your customer needs to sign is the check paying you for your services. If you have a problem doing the job causing the paint to crack, then it is your problem and not the customers.

Personally, in all of my 22 years of detailing peoples cars I have never once caused the paint to crack. Maybe that's why I do everything by hand.
                FRANK CANNA
                Mirror Finish Detailing
                23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

i have customers sign engine waivers. thats it. thats just because if something leaks or something cracks, its not my fault, i always take the same route and do anything and everything to prevent damage, but sometimes things happen (nothing yet *knock knock* but just in case) as for paint, if you damage it, you gotta fix it. if you damage it, you shouldnt be using whatever product you damaged it with. or learn to use it better.

Comment

hey all,

i got the same problem. I only encounter this issue once whereby the paint cracked during the polishing stage (RB - #80 - 1300RPM) on a fibreglass fender extension (its was on a big 4X4, btw). What I found out was the fender had too much of bondo underneat and it didnt show any signs of it gonna crack before the detail.

Apart, before the detail, I did not ask the client to sign any waivers but only verbally told him that the your paint might crack if your painter didnt do a good job on the paint.

So, reading from the suggestions by fellow forumers, I'll be liable to fix the crack? [lets assume i dont intend to retain this customer for future jobs]

Tim
                    Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by Mort Corey View Post
                      I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt that even if they would sign something like that you would likely still be liable for damages. Kind of like when they hand you a stub in a parking garage that states they aren't liable.....they are.

Mort
                      Bingo! Right answer.
                      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorfinishman View Post
                        tommy,

the only thing your customer needs to sign is the check paying you for your services. If you have a problem doing the job causing the paint to crack, then it is your problem and not the customers.

Personally, in all of my 22 years of detailing peoples cars i have never once caused the paint to crack. Maybe that's why i do everything by hand.
                        i agree except i have 28 years and always use a machine and have never cracked someones paint
                        1980 and still running the wheel

Comment

easy fix - I purchased video cameras. We do a walk around with every client while we film the interior as well as the exterior.

Takes about 3 minutes to do.
                          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
                            easy fix - I purchased video cameras. We do a walk around with every client while we film the interior as well as the exterior.

Takes about 3 minutes to do.
                            Bingo.. while I didn't start doing video before 2 details ago, I always had a client sign a sheet on which basic car/owner info is listed, along with a small waiver that "all photos taken are shared property and I can use them however I want, without license plate of course" and something like "not responsible for valuables left in the car" etc.... the most important thing on the sheet though is a section where each panel on the car is listed with 2 blank lines next to it... I go around the car with every client and write down EVERY defect from paint chips, to dings, EVERYTHING... they sign off on that after the list is complete and so do I... this way the damage prior to the detail is noted, and after speaking with a lawyer friend that's something I cannot be held accountable for...

However if you actually do some damage, no matter what forms the client signs and how great of a detalier you are, you're still liable for the damages... if the client signs a piece of paper that says "I agree that xxx detailer isn't liable for damaging my paint by accident..." or something like it, with the right lawyer, you will still be liable...

But as was said, insurance is good if there's a chance to screw up (yes I know there's 'always' a chance, but working on a 2 year old car vs. 30 year old car is a dramatic difference) and it's always good to note ANY damage pre-detail...
                            Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
                            Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. Now I have some ideas on this issue.

Some of the folks here are kinda funny, when you mentioned posting pictures in the net for the work being done on their vehicle ( - plates) they kinda freak out like its **** or stuff...
                              Last edited by TimG; Jul 29, 2008, 09:46 PM. Reason: typo again
                              Learning new things everyday

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');