• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first ever detailing jobs coming up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first ever detailing jobs coming up...

i recently decided (maybe a lil too soon) that i wanted to start detailing cars as a side job. i wouldnt exactly say i have the ideal amount of experience for this, but i learn quickly and have done some watching and learning (my cousin /best friend worked in the body shop of a dealership for 6 years and i frequently watched him) and have been reading megs online quite a lot lately in addition to reading some detailing books. ive found a good meguiars supplier and am going to use mostly megs products. i guess i would like some advice from you on how to get my business going while avoiding setbacks that may be caused by my lack of total experience.

i would also like your opinion (considering my situation and skill level) on what kind of product combination i should use. im planning on making these detailing jobs thorough (after all, im putting my name on them) but also efficient. so i would like a combination of products to use that will work quickly and provide a good amount of "WOW" factor for my customers. i also dont yet own any detailing power tools, but plan on buying them ASAP, although im slightly in debt at the moment. since this is the case, i would also like the products to be quick and effective even when applied by hand.

i had kinda looked through some of the options and came up with this:
    car wash
    spot clean
    clay
    #83 dual action cleaner/polish
    #9 swirl remover
    #7 show car glaze
    #26 hi-tech yellow wax
    synthetic spray detailer/quik detailer/final inspection

but i havent used most of these products so i may have no idea what im talking about.

also, my first detailing jobs are coming up next week or the week after. a lady that shops at my work has agreed to let me detail her 88' Benz 300CE (which is silver) and her 98' Jaguar XK8 (which i havent yet seen and dont know the color). the benz has some paint issues for sure. some of the clearcoat is coming off at the front of the hood and it has a couple dents (which shes having pulled and worked this week so i can detail next week) lots of swirling. but overall, its been washed pretty regularly from what i can tell. the trim is quite dull, so that will have to be addressed. a peek through the window told me the interior has been maintained pretty well.

im thinking of charging in the area of $100-$150 for each car (ill post a list of the services im including following this)

ok, your turn! criticize and educate me!

also, i just came up with a name today. and i have to say i feel quite clever about this one, but im not sure if it comes off as unprofessional. my name is Pat Henry, so i thought "P.H.A.T. Detailing" would be sweet with the acronym standing for Patrick Henry's Automotive Transformations. ive asked a couple people about this name so far. some thought it was pretty awesome. some thought it was ok. some said they thought it was ok, but i think they were lying, hehe. so let me know what you think of it! thanks everyone!

Re: first ever detailing jobs coming up...

Love your spirit!

We keep the below tip on the forum homepage because it helps you to help yourslef... check out the second tip...

Friendly Tips...
    How to write a great subject for your message!
    The Number 3 - Try to limit the number of questions in a single message to three...

That said, let me wade through this and see if I can shed some light...

Originally posted by RogueSpirit

i recently decided (maybe a lil too soon) that i wanted to start detailing cars as a side job. i wouldnt exactly say i have the ideal amount of experience for this, but i learn quickly and have done some watching and learning (my cousin /best friend worked in the body shop of a dealership for 6 years and i frequently watched him) and have been reading megs online quite a lot lately in addition to reading some detailing books. ive found a good meguiars supplier and am going to use mostly megs products. i guess i would like some advice from you on how to get my business going while avoiding setbacks that may be caused by my lack of total experience.
    Read through this forum for some tips on getting your business going...
    (It's the forum you posted your question too)

Detailing for Dollars

i would also like your opinion (considering my situation and skill level) on what kind of product combination i should use. im planning on making these detailing jobs thorough (after all, im putting my name on them) but also efficient. so i would like a combination of products to use that will work quickly and provide a good amount of "WOW" factor for my customers. i also dont yet own any detailing power tools, but plan on buying them ASAP, although im slightly in debt at the moment. since this is the case, i would also like the products to be quick and effective even when applied by hand.

i had kinda looked through some of the options and came up with this:
    car wash
    spot clean
    clay
    #83 dual action cleaner/polish
    #9 swirl remover
    #7 show car glaze
    #26 hi-tech yellow wax
    synthetic spray detailer/quik detailer/final inspection

but i havent used most of these products so i may have no idea what im talking about.
    You're trying to start out doing show car work, nothing wrong with that but it will be easier and just as profitable to start out doing some basic details. Instead of doing multiple step paint polishing work just,

Wash
    Clay
    Cleaner/Wax
    Dress Trim and Tires
    Vacuum interior
    Clean glass

This will take you up to 4-6 hours just for this if you're doing good work and that's plenty long enough for what you want to charge. After you learn more about the above paint care products and get some experience under your belt, then when the right car comes along you can offer to do some show car polishing work and also learn how to charge for it.

See this thread...

the benz has some paint issues for sure.

some of the clearcoat is coming off at the front of the hood

lots of swirling.

the trim is quite dull
    We took the liberty to isolate the RED FLAGS you listed about your first job.

If the clear coat is coming off, as in clear coat failure. Walk away from this job. Click the link below and look at the pictures,

The Clearcoat Failure Archive

if ANY of the pictures resemble the paint problems on this MB then explain to the owner the clear coat is failing and nothing you pour out of a bottle or scoop out of a can will fix it.

im thinking of charging in the area of $100-$150 for each car (ill post a list of the services im including following this)
    Try to get this kind of price range for this,

Wash
    Clay
    Cleaner/Wax
    Dress Trim and Tires
    Vacuum interior
    Clean glass

When you get to show car detailing then try to get to $200.00 and on up for just working on the paint. You're going to need a few cars under your belt before you can start doing real show car detailing.

ok, your turn! criticize and educate me!
    No criticism, just some friendly suggestions.

also, i just came up with a name today. and i have to say i feel quite clever about this one, but im not sure if it comes off as unprofessional. my name is Pat Henry, so i thought "P.H.A.T. Detailing" would be sweet with the acronym standing for Patrick Henry's Automotive Transformations. ive asked a couple people about this name so far. some thought it was pretty awesome. some thought it was ok. some said they thought it was ok, but i think they were lying, hehe. so let me know what you think of it! thanks everyone!
    Do a search using the search term

Business Name

Search for Titles only, not the copy of the message, there's a drop down box with this option right below where you type your key search words in here,

Here's one thread to check out...

Here's some free advice on the topic...

Your business name should,
    • Work well as your website name - example Monster Detail could also be www.MonsterDetail.com
    • Tell your customer quickly and plainly... what's in it for me?" (A clean shiny car)
    • Be easy to remember and spell so they can type it into a browser or remember it when they try to find you by some other means.

How's that?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

thanks Mike, much appreciated.

i was kinda feeling the same way about restoring paint (too much work for the price im asking and not enough experience to perform it), so im glad you agree.

now you said walk away from the MB job. the clear coat failure is relatively isolated, much less than a square foot. could she have this repaired in a shop without getting a coat over the whole car? i ask this because shes already having dings pulled out of the Benz in preparation for this detail, so would clear coat touch-up be much to add?

the problem with walking away from that job is that it is owned by the same lady that owns the XK8 and i dont know how she'll feel about that. she seems to be quite in love with her cars.

also, as far as the business name, i wanted personal feelings. corny OR catchy?

Comment

Originally posted by RogueSpirit View Post
        the problem with walking away from that job is that it is owned by the same lady that owns the XK8 and i dont know how she'll feel about that. she seems to be quite in love with her cars.
        The problem with working on a paint job with clear coat failure is once it starts it tends to keep going and if it moves to the good areas where you worked, then someone could mistakenly try to blame you for the problem.

If you feel comfortable working on the car and you explain to the owner what's going on with the paint then go for it.

Maybe even show her the Clear Coat Failure Archive pictures and thread in the link I have you above.

Originally posted by RogueSpirit View Post
        also, as far as the business name, i wanted personal feelings. corny OR catchy?
        When naming a business you should take it a little bit serious and think in terms like you market, it's about what they want, it's now about what you want.

I'll let someone else comment on the catchy/corny question.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

if she wanted to have the clear coat repaired, what would be the steps? at least 1 new layer of color and a clear coat?

what cleaner/wax would you recommend if I'm looking for a good amount of defect/swirl removal in one step?

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');