• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you charge? v. sureitsbeenaskedbefore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you charge? v. sureitsbeenaskedbefore

I know it's probably been asked about a hundred thousand times, but I'm curious as to what the populace of MOL that does this for money, be it vocation or avocation, would charge.

A co-worker of mine recently picked up a TDI Jetta, and he wants me to detail it. He asked me to do the engine bay too, which is something I normally do anyway. The interior is in pretty good condition, will need some spot removal but nothing drastic.

Anyhow, he's not really concerned with total paint correction, just a good shining. Here's what I was thinking:

Outside:
    Wash, then claybar the horizontal surfaces.
    for clean/polish and LSP, I was thinking either #66 followed by 26, or 9/80 (depending on how the finish is), followed by 26.
    Wheel brightener for wheels, insane shine on the tires.
    2:1 hyper dressing on wheel wells, trim, where applicable

Engine Bay:
    Degrease with degreaser and then 2:1 Hyper dressing on applicable parts

Interior
    clean interior with 10:1 APC, then 4:1 APC on spot carpet removal, and of course vacuum.

For someone who is not friend or family i'd charge about 100 dollars for this. But I look at this guy as a friend as much as a co worker, so I was thinking 50 bucks for all of it, with the "friend/family" discount I offer (50% off!).

It's probably about what, 3 hours of work?

Matthew 19:26

Re: What would you charge? v. sureitsbeenaskedbefore

Doing the exterior, interior and engine bay is a lot of work, if you figure $50.00 for each section that's $150.00, seems like a good minimum starting point.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That's a good point.

For the sake of argument (which I know may not be the best thing for me to do), the engine bay, when it's mostly plastic, really isn't that bad. Just some Degreaser or APC, agitated, rinsed, dried, and dressed. I think honestly it's the EASIEST part of the car to improve.

$150 seems a bit high for me, since I did some scouting about with some local places. They charge 125 for a detail - They claim they get retail customers at the same price they get dealerships for. If I can slide in under them for highly comparative work, I'd love it. Of course, they've been around for 30 some years.

Matthew 19:26

Comment

Just a guess... but the difference between you and them will likely be the "care" you put into your work and if you're using Meguiar's then the quality of the product you're using.

If you're content with $125.00 then offer your friend that price and see what he says.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

call the 125 a special introductory price...then once people see how much better your work is, then you can increase the price
          2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Another big factor is going to be the quality of work you plan to put into this vehicle. Just an example my basic wash takes me almost 2 1/2 hours. That's a minimum to properly clean the wheels, wheel wells, and body. I know it can be done faster but i like to take my time and make sure things are properly done via 2 bucket method ect. Considering this is just a friend then you can go with whatever feels ok with you. I know i have posted a job i did for my uncle on his big SUV and i did a complete full detail including all paint correction and interior shampoo, engine bay and his was bad ect.. and i did the job for $100. So just go with whatever feels right for you since you are doing this for a friend. If you are doing it for a customer i would say the price should easily be around 150 and up.
            ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
            Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
            210-281-8151

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Mustang View Post
              call the 125 a special introductory price... then once people see how much better your work is, then you can increase the price
              Great advice!

special introductory price...

Great key words too...
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I am a pro detailer. If someone called me and explained as you did about what they wanted I would quote $280 (pending an evaluation).
                Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');