• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water reclaim mats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water reclaim mats

I've been looking for ways to adhere to all California state and local laws regarding water runoff. I've looked into the Vacu-Boom and other expensive options. These look really nice, but since I still need a few other pieces of equipment (extractor, generator, and possibly a new trailer) I'm hoping to go for something a little more cost effective.

What I'm looking to do is get a wash mat which will hold all the water, then get a submersible dirty water pump and have that pumping the water into a second reclaim tank. Does this sound like an OK option? My only problem is I can't seem to find places that sell just the wash mats. If anyone knows where I can find one, I would greatly appreciate it.

My local detail supplier sells a mat, but its bascially an expensive, heavy duty tarp, as it has no edges to block water runoff.

Thanks!

Re: Water reclaim mats

Here is a wash mat and it looks like it has a border that goes around it that holds in the water.

http://www.detailgear.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=106

Comment

Thanks for the response. I actually just called Rightlook about that same mat right before you posted. The mat alone runs about $900, which is reasonable. I'll be picking that one up unless I can find something else that is more reasonably priced.

Just an FYI for anyone who is interested: the entire package, with a 60 gallon tank, is just under $1500.

Comment

Send buda a pm. He can help you out... http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/member.php?u=2940

He owns detailplus.com and he's a member here.
        Scott

Comment

I think Joe posted why he prefers the vacuboom somewhere along the line. Try searching for that thread

a few random thoughts:

Mats need to be heavy duty to survive cars rolling on and off of them all day. So they use material that’s heavier and more expensive than normal tarps. That also makes it that much more work to pack it up and stow it at the end of the job. It will be bulky and heavy to move around, even when dry and rolled up.

You can get sheeting without bolsters. At that point it wouldn’t be called a wash mat. It would just be a heavy duty water waterproof tarp of some sort. That should be available from many industrial suppliers.

Features like inflating bolsters raise the cost significantly but they also make massive improvements in usability and throughput. You have to dam up the water somehow.

Using a sump pump will only remove water down to a low puddle and then only if you have a well defined low spot of ground. A wet vacuum can remove almost all of the water.

You’re still probably going to have to unroll and clean it off or at least dry it off at the end of the day when you get home. That’s a lot of extra hassle.

For a professional time is money. You want to spend more time on customers’ cars and less on your equipment.

The hassle and expense of reclaiming water is the big reason no-rinse washes are popular with many professionals.

PC.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');