• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customer's who take advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer's who take advantage

We currently offer two levels of detailing.

Level One detail would include a wash with tire dressing, and exterior trim dressing when requested, the Deep Crystal System, interior vaccume, plastic/vinyl/rubber cleaning, and dressing on the dash. $100/$155

And Level two which is a "full detail" $250/$300

We had a customer call and tell us she had two cars she wanted done. One of the was pretty new, and not terribly dirty, so we suggested a level one, and the second car was filthy and she was going to sell it, We suggested a level two. She scheduled for the level one and when we got there it was the filthy car. The expected a full mobile detail for $100.00! We explained that they would need to pay more and they were not happy. To appease them I offered to clean some milk stains in the back seat for $50 more. I worked for three hours on the car (one more hour than normal for a level one) and it came out pretty good considering the condition it was in before. The owner then pointed out all the little details that I missed. I again explianed that that was the difference in a level one detail and a level two. I told them we would be happy to completly detail the car, but they would have to pay the higher price. They were very upset.

What would you do?
    What do you do to protect yourself from this kind of thing?

[Just a quick reminder that commercial links in the posts or in the signature area is not allowed on MOL; Thanks, 2hotford]
    Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Re: Customer's who take advantage

One thing comes to mind. When I quote a price on the phone I will start by saying that you will need to see the car before you can make an accurate quote and that you can only give estimates over the phone.
    You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Sounds like you did ok, though of course happy customers would always be best.

You may need to be a little more specific on what each level offers, as far as swirl/defect removal, etc. That way, if you dont remove a defect, or dress something, it is clearly not in the package.

Also, people take estimates as the final price, so have to be carefull with that.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Next time, turn down the work. Tell the customer you're concerned you won't be able to meet their expectations for the car they brought you for the Level 1 service package and gracefully turn down the work.

Always evaluate your customer first, then their car's finish.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

My findings are that when someone tells me over the phone that their car is "kept in good condition" it usually means that it is a mess and has never been clayed, polished or waxed. If they say it is kept up and then go on to describe in detail what products they were using on their car then it is usually exactly what they describe.

I agree with Mike-I know it is hard to pass on a job, but when you bust your hump and the customer is not satisfied maily due to their lack of upkeep then you are the one that suffers in the end.

Comment

Take Mike's advice, very sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Detaillab View Post
              We currently offer two levels of detailing.

Level One detail would include a wash with tire dressing, and exterior trim dressing when requested, the Deep Crystal System, interior vaccume, plastic/vinyl/rubber cleaning, and dressing on the dash. $100/$155

And Level two which is a "full detail" $250/$300

We had a customer call and tell us she had two cars she wanted done. One of the was pretty new, and not terribly dirty, so we suggested a level one, and the second car was filthy and she was going to sell it, We suggested a level two. She scheduled for the level one and when we got there it was the filthy car. The expected a full mobile detail for $100.00! We explained that they would need to pay more and they were not happy. To appease them I offered to clean some milk stains in the back seat for $50 more. I worked for three hours on the car (one more hour than normal for a level one) and it came out pretty good considering the condition it was in before. The owner then pointed out all the little details that I missed. I again explianed that that was the difference in a level one detail and a level two. I told them we would be happy to completly detail the car, but they would have to pay the higher price. They were very upset.

What would you do?

It's nearly impossible to do business on a handshake anymore,,,,although when you can- It's nice!

You can NEVER please everyone,,,,AND,,,,we have to get used to it!

But-

#1 Everything in writing
              #2 Explain thoroughly
              #3 Take deposit
              #4 Do the job and do it good

It's when we get to comfortable with things that they go wrong.

Comment

1. Go look at the car with the customer
                2. Give them a quote
                3. Ask them what are they looking at in price range
                4. Charge on a hourly bases
                5. When done detailing the car have them go through it with you

Comment

The best thing you can do is to give clearly explain what your price range would be and that only after a full inspection of the car can you give an accurate price. If you quote them a price that is too high for them, walk away, or suggest a lower cost option but make sure they understand what you won't be doing at that lower price (like a one step on the paint instead of a two step) and that while the car will look better, it won't look as good as if you'd done everything you recommended. If they balk, walk. Period. It is better to turn down a job than to have some price shopper nitpick stuff you didn't do because they weren't willing to pay for the work.

The main thing is though, don't even start working until you agree on a price and exactly what work will be performed.
                  Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

I have slowed my side-detail hobby down to only a few long-time customers, oe of which owns a 2003 black BMW X3. Consequently, he's a chain smoker & open heart surgeon (go figure). I often have to spend 3 hours on the interior alone, and he often tells me only to do the inside because he's pressed for time (I've had the car looking next to perfect - but it takes me a good 4-5 hours because of the condition he gives the car in). So I can relate to the customer not realizing that its because of their lack of care that causes the car to go into such a hard state to return back to pristine condition.

Comment

I had a customer that I quoted $250 to do his 87 vette as it had a lot of swirls and I don't like doing cars so I thought the price would scare him away. Suffice to say he agreed, gave me $100 deposit and I spend 10 hours on the outside of the car. When I had finished he was over the moon but said he could only afford to give me another $50 as thats all he had in his wallet. After explaining to him that we had agreed on the $250 he said yea I know but thats all I have with me, but if you want to wait I'll duck down to the bank (which is a 2min walk) and get you the rest.

So he jumps in his work ute and heads to the bank. After waiting for him for another hour I gave it up as a joke and packeted my gear and left. A week later a few of his friends rang up wanting their cars detailed for the same price and I told them that it would cost them at least $250 with a $200 deposit before I started due to their friend not paying me. Suffice to say I got to do their cars and I even got a $100 tip from his friends to make up the difference, and a polite word that he wouldn't do something like that again after they had finished talking to him.

I still don't like doing cars but will have a go if a customer really wants theirs done...expecialy if I have done their bikes before.

Comment

Originally posted by Detaillab View Post
                        What would you do?
                        You would have been smart to just walk away and not work on the vehicle.

It is important to use your own judgement and fully understand at the onset what it is you can do and cannot do in meeting the needs of the customer. Sometimes it is easy and sometimes it is not. The more you charge for your time, the more they will expect in the way of results. When in doubt, just walk away.
                        FRANK CANNA
                        Mirror Finish Detailing
                        23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

at my shop i have 2 deatil packages
                          we can do it RIGHT(everything that goes with a pro detail) $225 depending on size thats the low about 6-10 hours work

or

the RIGHT NOW (express detail- one step everything and thats it2-4 hours $95

depends on if you want it "clean" or "clean enough"

Noswirler

Comment

Thank you all for your imput, that will be helpful. I decided to go back and do everything the customer wanted for free and apologized stating that it must have been a "communication error." I refunded their money only becuase I could go back right away. I decided that it would be better in the end to keep a good word of mouth reputation going that being "right."
                            Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Comment

I hope they were happy with the final results of your time and effort.

You are a proffesional in my book.

Hope you have smooth sailings from here on out.

Aaron
                              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');