• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Micro Fiber Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro Fiber Questions

Hi All,

I was wondering if all MF towels are made with synthetic fibers?

Every time I shop for a MF towel, I notice that they look & feel like they are woven with man made fibers.

Thanks
    r. b.

In a word "NO"

If you do a search here you'll find a lot of discussion on this matter.
    Leo

Comment

Thanks Leo.
      r. b.

Comment

Re: Micro Fiber Questions

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
        Hi All,

I was wondering if all MF towels are made with synthetic fibers?

Every time I shop for a MF towel, I notice that they look & feel like they are woven with man made fibers.

Thanks
        Not to disagree with another poster but most (perhaps all?) MF is synthetic. Usually about 70-80% polyester and 20-30% polyamide.

Compared to a cotton strand, the synthetic fibers are thousands of times thinner.

Here is a good link.
        Jim
        My Gallery

Comment

Thanks jfelbab,

I bookmarked the site...Great info about MF towels.
          r. b.

Comment

Hope you don't mind if I jack this thread but should I wash the new Meguair's Ultimate Wipe/Bonnet I just bought before use?
            '87 Dante's Peak Off-Road GMC Suburban
            '01 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Originally posted by mxman
              Hope you don't mind if I jack this thread but should I wash the new Meguair's Ultimate Wipe/Bonnet I just bought before use?
              I would hand wash it in dish liquid, and then rinse it with a cup or less of white vinegar to remove the soap residue...Then hang to dry.
              r. b.

Comment

Re: Re: Micro Fiber Questions

Originally posted by jfelbab
                [B]Not to disagree with another poster but most (perhaps all?) MF is synthetic. Usually about 70-80% polyester and 20-30% polyamide.
                Sorry but you are wrong... and so is that site. Microfiber can be ANY composition as microifiber only refers to the size of the filament in the yarn and not to what it is made of.
                Leo

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Micro Fiber Questions

Originally posted by DFTowel
                  Sorry but you are wrong... and so is that site. Microfiber can be ANY composition as microifiber only refers to the size of the filament in the yarn and not to what it is made of.
                  Ok, I can be wrong, but I don't think so. But prove your statement. Point me to a site that sells any non-synthetic micro-fiber towels? I sure haven't found any. Where are you buying your non-synthetic MF towels? Curious minds want to know.

I have a question. Since it is relative easy to make a synthetic fiber that is .02 denier, what non-synthetic fiber is that size? They are correct when they stated that cotton fiber strands are 200 denier and silk are 20. What natural fibers are they then using to make non-synthetic micro-fiber towels?

I still stand by my statement that most MF towels are synthetic and composed of polyester and polyamide.
                  Jim
                  My Gallery

Comment

The MF debate comes back ... this debate reminds me of Ali vs. Frazier (it is that classic)!

DfTowel is 100% correct, hands down, without a doubt! He has proof!

However, I would say 95%+ of any search one does on the web, you will read that Microfiber is directly correlated with nylon and poly fibers. Also, please take into consideration where the towels are made. Korea, China and yes....the USA....DFTowel do you want to tell them or should I? If I may do the honors Leo....

Originally, I thought Microfiber towels related to the loops and the amount required to achieve the protocol to be called microfiber.

I think the best advantage is to purchase one of many different types test them and make your own conclusion as to which one is "best".

Last edited by CrobarCars; Apr 20, 2004, 04:42 PM.
                    "Automotive Detailing with a Passion!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrobarCars
                      The MF debate comes back ... this debate reminds me of Ali vs. Frazier (it is that classic)!

DfTowel is 100% correct, hands down, without a doubt! He has proof!

However, I would say 95%+ of any search one does on the web, you will read that Microfiber is directly correlated with nylon and poly fibers. Also, please take into consideration where the towels are made. Korea, China and yes....the USA....DFTowel do you want to tell them or should I? If I may do the honors Leo....

Originally, I thought Microfiber towels related to the loops and the amount required to achieve the protocol to be called microfiber.

I think the best advantage is to purchase one of many different types test them and make your own conclusion as to which one is "best".
                      Thank you for the info. This is not a debate though.

I've purchased and use about 20 MF towels and every one I own is made of polyester and polyamide. This, and numerous web searching for MF and auto detailing products lead me to my statement "most MF towels are synthetic and composed of polyester and polyamide." I don't think that can be disputed, or debated. It clearly is a fact.

But, don't get me wrong, I appreciate your pointing out that there is a manufacturer in France that makes non-synthetic MF towels and that adds to my knowledge.

I'm here to share information on detailing with others of like interests, not to get into petty arguments over something so unimportant as MF. My intent is not to make enemies but rather garner friends of similar interests. I hope to learn and share knowledge here. In that vein let's let this thread die a graceful death and part friends.

And if I've insulted anyone, I apologize.
                      Last edited by jfelbab; Apr 20, 2004, 06:17 PM.
                      Jim
                      My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab
                        ...I appreciate your pointing out that there is a manufacturer in France that makes non-synthetic MF towels...
                        They are made in the USA not France... BUY AMERICAN!!
                        Leo

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                          I would hand wash it in dish liquid, and then rinse it with a cup or less of white vinegar to remove the soap residue...Then hang to dry.
                          I need to clarify something....Be sure to add white vinegar to the rinse water...Don't rinse with vinegar alone.
                          r. b.

Comment

jfelbab - No worries and I look forward to your future questions....My use of the term "debate" was more humourus than anything.....This "microfiber" question, and others like it, has been raised since the inception of this tool. It was somewhat of an "inside Joke" to those who post on other forums as well....No offense taken here.....I have a coat of wax...nothing sticks for to long!
                            "Automotive Detailing with a Passion!"

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');