• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing in direct sunlight!??!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing in direct sunlight!??!!?

Time for the dumb question of the day....
    An auto detailing supplier down here swears that some waxes can be applied under direct sunlight. When he told me this I was stumped, I thought no way! But then he proceded to demonstrate. He used a spray-on type wax, and to my surpirse it came of really easily, he didn't leave it on for a long time though.
    What really bothers me is that I felt like a complete moron, I'm always trying to pass along what little I have learned on these boards, but day I was
    Is there a reason (technical) or just common sense as to why not apply wax under direct sunlight...

Alex
    Mandarina Racing

It helps when people define the term, direct sunlight

If it means the sun is out, but it's not a particularly hot day, or it's morning, or early evening, or its cloudy but the sun is out, that's one thing.

If we're talking about direct sunlight on a black car at 1:00pm in the middle of a black asphalt parking lot in Arizona, that's another thing.

So there are some factors that will determine whether or not a wax will perform well in direct sunlight.

Notice I didn't type,

So there are some factors that will determine whether or not a wax will work in direct sunlight.

But rather I wrote,

So there are some factors that will determine whether or not a wax will perform well in direct sunlight.

The goal is to work on a cool surface in the shade because all waxes will perform the best under these types of conditions.

If you are ever stuck between a rock and a hard place and you for whatever reasons have to apply a wax on a hot surface on a warm/hot day in direct sunlight, to help improve you chances of doing a good job,

dramatically reduce the size of your work area

This hold true for using quick detailers also. For example removing a bird dropping off your hood at high noon in the summer at a car show held outdoors.

In the end, no matter what the claims, products like cleaners, polishes and waxes work best when applied to a cool surface in the shade and Meguiar's know this and this is what we recommend.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      It helps when people define the term, direct sunlight

If it means the sun is out, but it's not a particularly hot day, or it's morning, or early evening, or its cloudy but the sun is out, that's one thing.

If we're talking about direct sunlight on a black car at 1:00pm in the middle of a black asphalt parking lot in Arizona, that's another thing.
      Uh, OK sorry, it's probably in between.

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

The goal is to work on a cool surface in the shade because all waxes will perform the best under these types of conditions.

If you are ever stuck between a rock and a hard place and you for whatever reasons have to apply a wax on a hot surface on a warm/hot day in direct sunlight, to help improve you chances of doing a good job,

dramatically reduce the size of your work area

In the end, no matter what the claims, product like cleaners, polishes and waxes work best when applied to a cool surface in the shade and Meguiar's know this and this is what we recommend.
      Gotcha, thanks!

Alex
      Mandarina Racing

Comment

sun

Last Saturday I was pressed for time to make it to my brother-in-law's wedding and only need to finally wax the beast. I was going to take the truck to my other in-laws house to do the waxing, but it was about 1/2 an hour away. I noticed that it was cloudy so I figured I'd do it right outside my house. Putting the wax on went perfect, but once I was just about done putting on the coat the darn sun pokes through the clouds and never goes away. At that time the back end where I started was ready to be removed and it came off easy, but as I kept going on the rest of the truck it kept getting tougher and tougher to remove the wax. The last panel I took the wax off of I literally had to go back three times to totally remove ALL the wax.
        So, like they say, waxing in the sun is a big NONO!!
        Yea, I'm a red hot beaner!!

Comment

Unlike you guys in the U.S. over here down under the weather is much cooler. Over the last 2 months I have applied cleaner/wax to my car in direct sunlight. This is because a) it was was early in the morning and too cold to do it in the shade (hands were still cold from washing the car) and b) even though the car was in the sun for 2 hours, the paintwork was still cold (temperature was around 12C). I wouldn't consider waxing in the sun in summer as I know how hard it is to take it off (I learned the first time I did this and don't forget things like that).
          Protecting my "ride"

www.carwasher.com.au

Comment

There ARE some products that work and work well in direct sunlight. Mike, I sent you a sample of one of them. I applied this product in mid day 87* sun, and it was easy to apply and remove.

Tom
            As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca
              There ARE some products that work and work well in direct sunlight. Mike, I sent you a sample of one of them. I applied this product in mid day 87* sun, and it was easy to apply and remove.

Tom
              Hi Tom,

Do you remember which one that was, as I think you've sent me a number of samples? Is it in the white bottles, blue bottles or little clear bottles? I'll try applying it to our black Pilot in direct sun at noon on the next full-on hot day and see what happens. (Right now it's cloudy as a storm has been passing through).

I agree there are some products that can be applied in the sun, but with qualifiers to that statement/claim. I ended my previoius post with this,

In the end, no matter what the claims, products like cleaners, polishes and waxes work best when applied to a cool surface in the shade and Meguiar's know this and this is what we recommend.

At least I've never come across a product that works best under the worst condition, i.e. hot sun, black paint, middle of the day.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

This particular dealer was trying to pitch that the particular products he was selling could be used under direct sunlight! By the way this was at a car show in the middle of the day, so maybe all he was trying to do was SELL

Later,

Alex
                Mandarina Racing

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');