• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you seen the Turtle Wax commercial knocking Meguiars?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you seen

I agree with wanting to try new stuff. Thats why I bought this D Spec by ShiningMonkey. For 2 bucks what the heck. I remember using TR3 Resin on my Mustang. I looked it up on the net and it is still around.
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

I noticed alot at car show's people use different kind's of product's on there car's. The thing is I never noticed Turtle Wax at any car show.

Comment

What I think is relevant is that they saw that they were getting shellacked by Meguiar's (and Mothers) in the high end consumer market, and they were getting beat bad enough that they had to come up with a new product.

It's good stuff, for sure, and a worthy competitor. I don't care for the scent. I thought it looked really good.

For me, the comparable Meguiar's products (NXT, new Gold Class) are just as good (if not better, I've only used the TW a couple times before I gave it away so I'm not THAT familiar with it to say how it is relatively) and NXT and GC come with Meguiar's unbeatable customer service, support, and genuine care for us as car lovers. Turtle Wax doesn't maintain a forum, as best I know, and Turtle Wax has never once held a detailing clinic for my car club. I can't pick up the phone and talk to my Turtle Wax regional sales manager. I can't call Turtle Wax on my cell phone from WalMart on a Saturday afternoon and ask about what products to buy. Turtle Wax didn't offer to sponsor my club's "Drive To Survive" to raise money for cancer research (thanks, Rod!)

So for me, the chemical itself is pretty good but the product package simply doesn't deliver any of the extras that I've come to enjoy from Meguiar's.

But yeah, it's a nice wax, sure.

Tom
        Last edited by Mosca; Jul 31, 2005, 08:38 AM.
        As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Turtle Wax doesn't maintain a forum, as best I know, and Turtle Wax has never once held a detailing clinic for my car club. I can't pick up the phone and talk to my Turtle Wax regional sales manager. I can't call Turtle Wax on my cell phone from WalMart on a Saturday afternoon and ask about what products to buy. Turtle Wax didn't offer to sponsor my club's "Drive To Survive" to raise money for cancer research (thanks, Rod!)
          You hit it right on the head!! I have gotten pretty close to other companY REPS in my area, 3M, finish Kare, to name a few. I was considered as a finish kare rep awhile back.

Meguiars has that extra BIT-O-LOVE for the shine, cars and most importantly its customers.

Even if every other product on the market were just as good, the extra mile Meg goes attracted me.
          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I have to think that turtle wax is fighting its way out of a corner.The commercial proves nothing.No proof.There is a commercial about Volo auto museum and their detailer that uses turtle wax and his customers ask him what he uses because the shine is so great.I live 10 minutes away from Volo and have seen the cars at the museum and even touched them.Yes I see the dont touch signs.If thats TW's best they are really in trouble.The way I got hooked on Megs products is through Stallions gate Mustang club.There was Megs High endurance samples in the goody bags.TW wont even return phone calls for free samples.Meguiars gets a big in my book.
            2007 Mustang GT/CS white 5sp. named Cali
            Show Car Detail

Comment

Originally posted by Dragpakmach
              TW wont even return phone calls for free samples.
              Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm with the big corporations any more. They're too involved with making a big profit for the sakes of their shareholders than to care about educating the consumer the way Megs does.

I hope Meguiar's always stays a family run business, because if it ever changes into corporate hands, then I'm sure it will never be the same again!

That's the very thing that happened to my former company, and now it's just a shadow of what it used to be.
              r. b.

Comment

I hope Meguiar's always stays a family run business, because if it ever changes into corporate hands, then I'm sure it will never be the same again!
                Actually, Turtle Wax is another one of those "up from the bootstraps" stories....

"Ben Hirsch, the founder of Turtle Wax® Inc. was a very diverse and creative entrepreneur. He used his experience in the grocery business to invent products such as tasty chocolate covered bananas, dessert toppings and Angel Rinse™ cold wash detergent. While working in the grocery business, Ben met his future wife/partner Marie and together they set out to formulate the world's first liquid car polish, which came to be known as Plastone.

"Using his chemical background, $500.00, and a small storefront on Chicago Avenue, Ben and Marie mixed the Plastone car polish in their bathtub. Marie would then bottle the car polish and Ben would sell it by traveling on the city's electric street car. Sometimes Ben would hand polish the fender of a parked car and then wait for the owner to return to make a sale! While Ben continued inventing other items, such as Penny® Shoe Shine Polish and even one of the original Shop- At-Home catalogs, Plastone grew into America's most popular liquid car polish.

"While on a 1950's business trip to Beloit, Wisconsin, Ben came across Turtle Creek. He made the connection between a Turtle's protective hard shell and his Plastone Polish. From that day on Plastone was renamed Super Hard Shell®, and the company became Turtle Wax® Inc. Since then, Turtle Wax® has continued to grow, with products now distributed worldwide, offering the largest array of car care products offered by a single company."

I'm not sure of that last claim, but you have to respect the entenpreneurial spirit.

Tom
                As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

I think T.W. is still run by a family member, a son-in-law I think. When I serviced my accounts in the area were there factory was somethimes you would see them testing products on employees cars in the parking lot . I would stop and watch them for awhile. It was very interesting.

Comment

According to Yahoo Finance;
                    “Now led by their {founders Ben and Marie Hirsch} daughter, co-chairman Sondra Healy, the family-owned company makes more than 1,250 products…”

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
                      According to Yahoo Finance;
                      “Now led by their {founders Ben and Marie Hirsch} daughter, co-chairman Sondra Healy, the family-owned company makes more than 1,250 products…”

PC.
                      Well, I stand corrected.

I thought they were run differently.
                      r. b.

Comment

Im sorry if I sounded like I wanted free samples for myself.The club just thought it would be nice to hand out samples to a bunch of Mustang fanatics.But Megs stepped in and has given samples the last few years.Whats interesting is that everybody in the club uses Megs products.Whats sad is alot of companies forgot where they came from.
                        2007 Mustang GT/CS white 5sp. named Cali
                        Show Car Detail

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');