• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does clay bar wear finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does clay bar wear finish?

Hello again, I started a new thread since it is a different question. I always wondered this... does running a clay bar on the finish cut into the finish or wear it at all or does it just remove contaminants? Any difference between clay and synthetic clay pads? I don't know if either one is abrasive or if it just removes protruding bits out of the paint. I don't want to clay bar too often if it causes wear on the finish. The rear of my car gets so rough that I'd like to clay bar it a few times a year, just not sure if that would mess it up faster.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Re: Does clay bar wear finish?

Well, how technical do you want to get... touching the paint with your finger, or running water over it takes some paint off.

But no, as long as you use a proper lubricant, you wont remove anything in a damaging amount.

The only thing to watch is the strength of clays... a real strong one can make some swirls/haze. Some synthetics can be aggressive.

You may find that you want to use some of the spray tar, iron removers before claying. That will give you less to remove with clay, and not need to use the clay as hard.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Does clay bar wear finish?

But no, as long as you use a proper lubricant, you wont remove anything in a damaging amount.

The only thing to watch is the strength of clays... a real strong one can make some swirls/haze. Some synthetics can be aggressive.

Again lots of lube and you will not get maring. Use in shade. Good luck

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');