• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me out with holograms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me out with holograms.

Hi guys,

I bought a DW 849 today and tried it out with a thick (around 4" thick) yellow sponge 6" pad with DACP to remove some scratches due to washing and drying.It was really a mistake buying that pad .I tested on a small section on the front bonnet and what I got some buffer marks/holograms.I've followed MG video guide as well as few posting from autopians and showcar garage.I was doing 1000rpm with non pressure and moving 4" per sec.

My question here is how can I remove those marks?Since here in my country I could only get MG 8" pads since the main distributor did not bring in 6.5" pads anymore, is it safe to use 8" pads.I'm thinking removing it with #82 and W8000 pad.

Hi tot31,

Try using the #82 Swirl Free Polish with the W-8000 pad between the 1200 and 1500 rpm setting.

Make light overlapping motions, holding the pad flat.

Wipe off and inspect. Remember, this is not the finishing step, after buffing with the rotary, you either want to re-polish with a dual action polisher, or apply a coat or two of wax.

It's too bad you cannot get a hold of the smaller pads and a PC.

You could, if you want to get your hands on these items, order through Autopia Car Care, I know they ship overseas all the time.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.Actually I did order MG G100a through your main distributor here i.e Hypercoat (M) Sdn Bhd.I already paid a deposit of RM500 equl = USD131.The total price for it I have to pay is RM1180 or USD310 but after a few weeks waiting the sales rep told me that he had to cancel the order as the mains voltage for US electrical products is 110V where as here in Malaysia is 240V.I've read the success stories of a few British autopians using PC 7424 with a stepdown transformer which I intended to do so.

The reason he told me that they've tested a unit in Singapore with a stepdown transformer and it blown so he don't want any future hassle to me or him if MG G100a get blown.I was really looking forward to it but now seems my dream on getting it had gone .

That's why I had to opt for a rotary buffer eventhough I have got no experience with it but I really determine on learning using it and I guess I chosed the wrong pad.As I've read your posting recomended to use 6.5" pad for better control.

I've tried Scratch X to remove those scracthes but it was unsucessful.Which backing pad should I use with W8000?6.5" or 8"?
      Last edited by tot31; Apr 5, 2004, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Hi tot31,

You have another option to the PC, it's called an Air Powered D.A. Sander

Body shops use them all the time to sand down cars.

Basically it's the same type of machine as the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher except it runs off of compressed air. Meguiar's makes a foam pad that screws into the auger, or you can use the W-64DA backing plate which allows you to swap between pad types via a Velcro material backing.

What's interesting is that Meguiar’s offered foam pads for the D.A. back in the 1980's, it wasn't till just recently that idea was adopted to the electric dual action polisher for use on car finishes, that Porter Cable originally designed and sold into the wood furniture industry.

Something to consider if you have access to a large air compressor, the kind usually use in auto repair garages or auto body shops.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Mike,

So the difference between W-64 and W-64DA is only the diameter shaft right?In that case I have to take my DW 849 to the distributor to get the right 6.5" backing plate.The one I have now is only 4.5" Velcro type also.

I might consider the Air Powered DA Sander as my brother got one air compressor and I could borrow from him.I also saw the sander when I bought my DW,it was B&D.

Comment

Thanks Mike for your help.I bought W65 backing plate, #82,W8000 and W9000.I managed to get rid the holograms as well as most of the scratches and swirls.Only can get rid on tight areas such as near the edge of the front hood.

I used both the W8000 and W9000 pads with #82.I used 1400rpm max on the DW 849.

Here are some pics of the reflection.Too tired to continue to apply #5 and #26...maybe tomorrow..

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');