• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove rust on strut bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove rust on strut bolts?

2014 Mazda 6. The car is in perfect mechanical condition, but apparently the previous owner who had a lease on it, lived in a area of Florida, where there is lots of road salt or something. I live in Miami and not even my old 2004 Cavalier had rust like that on the strut bolts. That is the only explanation of why a 2014 vehicle could have surface rust. It has to be road salt, because if you look at the strut mount, they are white stained. Luckily, most of the car is fine. I have some surface rust on the exhaust and control arms. The exhaust can be replaced and the control arms can be cleaned and painted.

What can I use to remove surface rust from these bolts? or should I just get new ones from the dealer? Should I apply a rust converter or inhibitor on them? It even has surface rust on some on the paint surrounding it. I figure I could use a grinder with a brush attachment and remove as much a I can and then apply a rust converter on the paint and then use some touch up paint on it? The bolts can easily be replaced though.

Re: How to remove rust on strut bolts?

I would replace them, way more work then get new ones

Comment

I applied w40 to the bolts and paint and it remove some of the rust, but the bolts are still rusted. I can get new bolts online from Mazda stores for $2-3 each, the question is how do I remove these rusted bolts without stripping them, that is my fear.

I could have a mechanic do it for me, since they have better tools and they would do it right, I suppose.

Comment

I'd remove the nuts, clean them as best as you can, then apply a rust converter, such as Eastwoods, to the nuts and studs, let 'em cure for a day or so without moving the car, then reassemble. You can then coat them with POR 15 or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator to prevent future rust.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
          I'd remove the nuts, clean them as best as you can, then apply a rust converter, such as Eastwoods, to the nuts and studs, let 'em cure for a day or so without moving the car, then reassemble. You can then coat them with POR 15 or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator to prevent future rust.

Bill
          I don't have any on those products at hand and the bolts are $3.32 or $2.62 each. It is cheaper just to replace them, but I don't know which ones I need. Look at this page.

It shows bolts #4 and #12, but I don't know which one I need and they have different prices

One is called "Top nut left and right" and the other is "strut mount nut left and right"

I don't understand.

Comment

You can get SEM Rust Converter at most parts stores. Replacing the nuts only solves half of your issues. The studs are integral with the upper strut mount and would require removal of the strut to replace. Another advantage is that you can use the converter anywhere else on the car that you find rust.

Bill

Comment

You can get SEM Rust Converter at most parts stores. Replacing the nuts only solves half of your issues. The studs are integral with the upper strut mount and would require removal of the strut to replace. Another advantage is that you can use the converter anywhere else on the car that you find rust.

Bill
              Yes, I would spray the studs, but doesn't the converter turn the part black? For example, I know rustoleum converter does this, so I would have to be really careful applying it. Which one do you recommend? So many products. I read that some rust dissolvers contain acid, such as rustoleum disolver and is not a good idea to use it on rust, because it will eat away the rust and also the good metal. Also, what about the paint areas that have some rust spots, how to fix that?

Comment

Would you rather have black-colored nuts and bolts that won't rust anymore, or rusty-colored ones? Once the rust is converted, you can always paint over it.
                Unless doing large areas, I always use brushes to apply. As to your brand question, I've already mentioned two well-respected brands.
                Bill

Comment

Would you rather have black-colored nuts and bolts that won't rust anymore, or rusty-colored ones? Once the rust is converted, you can always paint over it.
                  Unless doing large areas, I always use brushes to apply. As to your brand question, I've already mentioned two well-respected brands.
                  Bill
                  Por 15 has to be used with their 3 step process though, so I would have to get their small kit .

That rust mort contains acid which will eat away the rust and good metal as well, so I'm not sure if I want to use that.

What about evapo rust, it claims to remove rust without damaging the paint and it has no acids. Maybe this would help remove the small rust spots on the paint.

I also have some surface rust around the rear lower control arms and the exhaust. The exhaust can be replaced. I figure I could use evapo rust to dissolve as much rust as possible and then use the por 15 step process. I would need to get the car lifted though.

Comment

Evapo-Rust and Metal Ready, two non-toxic rust removers, require a long soak time, as in hours to even days. How are you gonna do that without removing the parts from the car?
                    POR 15's process just makes sure the surface is clean and slightly acid-etched. A well-timed acid bath won't burn holes in your parts. It just etches the surface for a good bond.
                    You're really over thinking this. Just Go to Eastwood's site, read about their Rust converter and Rust Encapsulator, including instructions, order whichever one looks appropriate for your task and get it done. I've got stuff that was done up to fifteen years ago using POR15, KBS or Rust Encapsulator and they all hold up well.

Bill

Comment

Evapo-Rust and Metal Ready, two non-toxic rust removers, require a long soak time, as in hours to even days. How are you gonna do that without removing the parts from the car?
                      POR 15's process just makes sure the surface is clean and slightly acid-etched. A well-timed acid bath won't burn holes in your parts. It just etches the surface for a good bond.
                      You're really over thinking this. Just Go to Eastwood's site, read about their Rust converter and Rust Encapsulator, including instructions, order whichever one looks appropriate for your task and get it done. I've got stuff that was done up to fifteen years ago using POR15, KBS or Rust Encapsulator and they all hold up well.

Bill
                      I like to do things right from the start.

Por 15 is not that affordable compared to rustoleum rust converter and the other converters, but I'd rather use a paint brush. Did you apply the por 15 without the marine degreaser and metal prep?

They have this kit for $20

Not sure if it would be enough, it says good for 6 feet square and 2 coats.

Here are pics of my surface rust, is not much compared to older cars, but I still want to protect it somehow. I know a place that rents a garage/lift for $25 the hour, so I can do it myself.

Comment

Based on what you've written, I still favor Eastwood's own products. They're less finicky about preparation and is able to be topcoated without a proprietary primer. Go to their site again and search thru their videos for one that compares their Encapsulator against their Converter. The only advantage of POR 15, IMO, is that it flows out smoother, which isn't terribly important on undercarriage parts. Eastwood's is definitely more forgiving with regard to preparation and topcoating.

Bill

Comment

That may be coming from the salty marine layer I posted about last weekend. The closer to the coast, the bigger problem it becomes, especially for cars parked outside.

Comment

Based on what you've written, I still favor Eastwood's own products. They're less finicky about preparation and is able to be topcoated without a proprietary primer. Go to their site again and search thru their videos for one that compares their Encapsulator against their Converter. The only advantage of POR 15, IMO, is that it flows out smoother, which isn't terribly important on undercarriage parts. Eastwood's is definitely more forgiving with regard to preparation and topcoating.

Bill
                            Our tech team answers a lot of technical calls and emails each day, and there are a lot of common questions asked and advice given. Many of them are about when and where to use our different coatings and paints. Rust products might be the most confusing as far as […]

They say you can use rust encapsulator over the converter. I think I'm better off using the encapsulator. Degreasing, wire brushing and the encapsulator. They have a rubberized version of encapsulator, but I read so many negative experiences with rubberized undercoat.

Then, I can use this on top of it. Don't know if I should use the paint or spray can versions of both.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-original-chassis-black-satin-gloss-paint.html

Comment

I think I can probably get away with just 2 spray cans, it covers 10 feet square each, which is more than enough since I only need to cover the areas shown in my pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');