• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

99 Accord start to finish detail steps.... help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Accord start to finish detail steps.... help???

I have 99 accord with slight cob webbing and some small swirl marks and a have some contamination and water spots in the paint.

Should I wash the car first with dawn to get all prvious coats of wax off of it???? If so then do I wash it with one of meguiars car washes before i clay the car.

I first will clay the car then wash it again??? what do i do to get off the QD spray from where i clay??(a terry cloth??)

then use DACP with PC, with a w-7006 or a w-8006, not sure which pad to use???

then use SFP with PC on w-8006 pad...?

is it overkill to use #81 before i go to the NXT???

lastly use NXT wax with PC on a w-9006 or w-8806 pad and buff it off with ultimate bonnet m-9920. again which pad should i use for this step?? i heard of some people using the w-8006 pad on first coat of nxt then the second coat using the w-9006 pad???

i know this will take some hours to do to but i am not afraid of the time it will take. i do have exprience with the pc and claying. can someone also tell me if this is all a good combination???

also the ultimate wipe(micro fiber??) that is used along with the cotton terry towels to remove the wax???

thanks,
    Jon
    Last edited by n1976jmk; Apr 4, 2004, 12:42 PM.

Maybe Mr. Phillips's can help me with this one???

Comment

Originally posted by n1976jmk
      Maybe Mr. Phillips's can help me with this one???
      Sure!

First of all, skip the Dawn Wash, it's really not necessary since your going to go over your finish with both clay and DACP. (It’s bad advice that is circulated over the web by well intentioned people)

If you’re going to do this all in one session, then do this.

Wash you car with a premium car wash. While the car is still wet, use some fresh soapy car wash solution and clay your car using your wash solution as your lubricant, and then quickly wash and rinse the car when your through. This is more or less how detail shops do it. They clay the car right after they have washed it clean, but while the entire car is still wet. This way is faster than washing the car then drying the car, then claying the car then wiping the car clean. Take my work for it, production oriented detail shops develop systems for working fast.

You can also keep a bottle of Quik Detailer handy to increase lubricity where needed.

After washing, then claying, then final wash and rinse, dry the car and your ready to go to work with the PC and the DACP.

Use the W-8006 polishing pad. In most cases, the W-7006 foam cutting pad is too aggressive and can potentially leave a dull finish when used with the PC.

Go over the entire car with the PC/DACP/W-8006 on about the 5.0 setting and work one section at a time, thoroughly, work the #83 until it has almost dissipated, but your still leaving behind a wet film after a pass with the PC.

After this step, switch to a new, clean, dedicated W-8006 pad and do the same thing with the #82 Swirl Free Polish.

After that step, applying Hand Polish is probably an overkill, but I'm not going to stop you....

After that, apply two thin coats of Tech Wax. Optimum would be to apply the second coat the next day, after about 12 hours. If this is not possible, then wait about an hour, and apply the second coat. Use the W-9006 pad somewhere between the 2.0 and 4.0 setting.

Remove using premium quality microfiber, use Meguiar's Ultimate Bonnets if you have them over a ddry W-8006 foam polishing pad. (Good method for a show car).

I would use a good quality 100% cotton towel for removing the DACP and the SFP

I hope this helps and Welcome to Meguiar's Online

Mike

p.s.

Post some pictures after uploading a few to your gallery here on the forum. (All members receive a server space in the gallery)
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Also, which car wash product should I use???

So use the w-8006 pad for both end coats of NXT then.

also i read somewhere to use some QD on the pads for the PC to help lubricate them? is this the correct thing to do?

last one, should NXT be the best wax for me to finish the car with or should i use a different one?

ps- when are you posting up the full detail you did on the 47' plymouth???
        Last edited by n1976jmk; Apr 5, 2004, 01:58 PM.

Comment

mike or anyone when u get a chance please help me out with this.....
          Last edited by n1976jmk; Apr 5, 2004, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Hey,

I like to use a good name brand car wash. I have Pro Cherry Suds for now which works great. When I run out I plan on switching to either #62 or something along those lines. I've heard alot of good reviews about NXT car wash and likewise #62 in the professional line.

Comment

Originally posted by n1976jmk
              Also, which car wash product should I use???
              NXT Generation Car Wash

or

Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner

So use the w-8006 pad for both end coats of NXT then.
              You can use W-8006 or W-9006 pads for applying Tech Wax. The W-8006 pads are polishing pads and offer a little more bite, or polishing action whereas the W-9006 pads are finishing pads and are as soft as you can get for flawless finishes.

Also i read somewhere to use some QD on the pads for the PC to help lubricate them? is this the correct thing to do?
              It’s not recommended to introduce any water or other liquids into the application process of Tech Wax, or any wax product. Instead, when first staring out with a dry pad, apply some product in the shape of a X to the surface of the pad, or in a circle around the outer edge of the pad.

Last one, should NXT be the best wax for me to finish the car with or should I use a different one?
              NXT is now Meguiar’s longest lasting, best protecting formula. Your choice as to what works best, or looks best on your paint type will have to be determined by you.

ps- when are you posting up the full detail you did on the 47' Plymouth???
              As soon as I get time, I will be uploading pictures to this thread tonight,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...=&threadid=538

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks mike, i will post before and after pics when i start, being out here in NJ it is still not warm enough to start and will be ordereing everything in the next couple weeks to do it.

Comment

ko0L!

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I would like to second the new NXT wash!! I was using Gold Class before (which is great too!), but the NXT provides more lubrication I think. I will only be using NXT wash from now on.
                    2003 Mach 1
                    Azure Blue
                    5 speed/IUP
                    2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
                    KY Horsepower

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');