• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just detailed my dad's new BMW. Paint still has rough spots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just detailed my dad's new BMW. Paint still has rough spots.

Hey everyone,

I ended up detailing my dad's new BMW today because I really want to help him maintain it from the beginning. I washed the car w/ GC soap and then clayed with Mother's Cali Gold Clay Kit. I followed up by rinsing the car and drying it. Then used the Deep Crystal Cleaner Wax and the DC Carnauba Wax. Turned out great, however, I went back over the car with a plastic sandwich bag and could detect some rough spots. It almost feels exactly the same in some areas, but it is noticeably better than before.

I'm wondering, should I have done the Iron-X prior to the clay bar? I'm really surprised that it is still as rough as it is. The car is garage kept and some days it doesn't go out. I can understand an older car with a lot of buildup still being rough and perhaps needing more attention, but the paint wasn't that bad from the beginning.

If I do need to Iron-X the car, do I just wash, Iron-X, clay again, re-wash, then wax like normal?

Re: Just detailed my dad's new BMW. Paint still has rough spots.

Has the car ever been clayed before?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I believe that this was the first time. I never clayed it before and I don't think that the dealership ever did. He bought the car about 7 months ago, so there was definitely something that got on the paint.

Comment

I would recommend going over the car once again with clay. I'm not a fan of the Mothers clay bar or the Meguiar's clay bar from the smooth claying kit. I prefer the clay magic blue clay bar that can be found locally. I find that clay bar to be better.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
          I would recommend going over the car once again with clay. I'm not a fan of the Mothers clay bar or the Meguiar's clay bar from the smooth claying kit. I prefer the clay magic blue clay bar that can be found locally. I find that clay bar to be better.
          I like the blue one too. It's a little more aggressive IME. What don't you like about the Mothers or the Meguiar's clay kits?

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');