• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratches in new car, and paint transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches in new car, and paint transfer

Hello beautiful Meguiar's people!

I got a new car about a month ago and have already washed, clayed and waxed it (using Meguiar's). I unfortunately was doing a sharp turn into a tight parking space and scraped a yellow pole. Obviously had some paint transfer, although the scratches appear to be very shallow. I would just like to at least get the yellow paint out. I was reading online and a lot of people said to use Scratch X.

Question #1: Should I clay first, and then use scratch x?
    Question #2: It looks like the chrome on my car also has paint transfer. What can i use? I'm not sure if it's plastic or metal, but i can assume it's plastic. It's a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport
    Question 3: Can I use the scratch x on the chrome also?

Thank you so much for your help!

Re: Scratches in new car, and paint transfer

Welcome to MOL.

Sorry to hear about the new car getting a blemish. Did you already purchase scratchx? It will still work. If not ultimate compound would be my recommendation with a foam applicator. That will remove the paint transfer. You could use that without claying. Both can be used on chrome. You may need to follow up with a polish such as ultimate polish if the paint appears to have a cloudy look to it after using scratchx or ultimate compound.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you Michael! I haven't purchased Scratch X yet. I had also added liquid wax to my cart. So you would recommend Ultimate Compound over Scratch X? Which is easier to apply (I live in an apartment and don't have access to a driveway or water supply). I was planning on just washing that area instead of the whole car but it's a fairly big area.

Comment

Ultimate Compound is slightly more aggressive that scracthx. See the following link to see how they compare.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...t-surprise-you!

I would recommend either one. My personal preference would be ultimate compound and ultimate polish for someone that is starting out. They are user friendly products. You may not need ultimate polish but it just depends on how the paint reacts. Some will haze and some will not with a compound. A polish will remove that haze and add gloss.

Seeing as you don't have access to water, a rinseless or waterless wash would be a good option. Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere is a waterless wash that works very well. You could use it on just that area to wipe it down.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you so much! I'm going to get the stuff tonight and hopefully work on it over the weekend!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');