• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning/Detailing Tires with White Letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning/Detailing Tires with White Letters

I just bought a new set of tires with white letters installed on my painted aluminum wheels. What do you recommend to clean and detail the tires without affecting the M21 I have on the wheels? I'd like the tires to have that clean flat black look and have the white letters really stand out.

Re: Cleaning/Detailing Tires with White Letters

APC or Super De-greaser, spray on the tires and agitate with a stiff brush. Just wet the wheels before hand and rinse after, I don't think you'll remove the M21. You will probably need to re-apply the M21 every 3-6 months anyway.
    Dr. Detail: I am the detail genius from the movie "Shine."
    Guard: And your name is...?
    Dr. Detail: Uhh... Shiney McShine.

Comment

If you spray APC on wheels with M21 it's safe to assume that the M21 will be removed.

Sealants have a very short life on wheels due to the corrosive nature of break dust and it's high temperatures. A spray of APC will likely take the final leap and eliminate the small amount of M21 left.

If you really wanted to protect your wheels go with a coating or Meguiars Break Dust Barrier.
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Here's another idea. How about washing the wheels and spray them with some ultiamte quik wax. Then you can clean the tires. After you dry the wheels you could apply another layer of quik wax if you like. Quik wax is pretty durable. I do agree that break dust barrier is some great stuff.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

A coating on the wheels; good idea.

Comment

A Brillo pad was always good for whitewalls...
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thank you for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                A Brillo pad was always good for whitewalls...

Old school...that still works terrific. That is all use on my daughter's truck tires and the lettering is so white you need sun glass to look at them.

Comment

This has worked well for me. I think you will be very happy with the results. Made this video a couple of years ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');