• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help with Marring and light swirl marks Lexus ES300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Marring and light swirl marks Lexus ES300

Hi All,

Although my Lexus ES300 is a creamish, lighter color (two toned car) and a little tough to see the swirl marks from the previous owner I decided to just paint correct that one part of the trunk that has a really bad marring as if someone set a box on top of it and dragged it as they were trying to put something in their car. I first tried Meguair's Polishing 6.5 Pad with PC 7424XP and even the swirl marks weren't coming out when using M6 and then later on 205. I have the burgundy buffing pad and 105 but after hearing gunshots in the neighborhood from about 50-100 ft away and it was pretty late, I decided to clean up and didn't get to use the buffing pad. But before continuing again tomorrow morning I wanted to verify with other Lexus ES300 owners if the car has soft or hard paint, on some websites they claim the paint is hard and on another it says it is soft. I had a reading of 5.8 mm and was hoping to see if someone can verify if that's a good amount to be able to do paint correction on the clear (not sure if that's good for a trunk).

Sorry for the crappy masking

These were all shots beforehand, my phone died during machine polishing. Hopefully I can fix it tomorrow as I also need to study for midterms hehehehe.

Dude, I just watched Joe Fernandez' Autogeek presentation that uploaded last night on youtube and he mentioned Lexus paint! I know he said he hated it. I believe his reason was because it's too "soft"

Nothin ruins a calming polishing session like some knuckleheads shooting bullets at each other 100ft. away... I wish all the senseless violence would cease already. They should learn a trade, like using an orbital to polish cars, instead of loading a clip into a firearm!

Btw, what happened to that red Honda you had about a month ago? I sure could use a Honda for a daily driver if the price is right:]
    I used to own a 91 Accord and the car ran like a champ! Gotta respect a Honda for what it can do.
    Let me know.

Comment

Re: Need Help with Marring and light swirl marks Lexus ES300

I am going to check out that Autogeek video.
      As for the Honda Accord, we sold it off, the car although no CEL the car would seem like it wouldn't like to function perfectly at the 60 MPH+ mark. The paint was already peeling too. But I kinda did wish that I had it again instead of this car because of gas consumption costs hehehhe

Comment

Looking at it this morning, it looks like the very light swirl marks are gone while blinding my right cornea out hahahha. But there are still the deeper swirl marks and marring .

Comment

Maybe someone can chime in and let you know whether #7 Show Car Glaze might be an option for you as it's supposed to fill in defects and "hide" swirls. I've never used it myself but I'm sure someone here experience with it. Good luck.

Comment

I was going to opt in for wet sanding by hand and then polishing it up.. not sure if that's a good idea though.

Comment

Are you going to the Thursday Nite Open Garage? I'm planning on being there. I'm sure they'll be plenty of pros willing to advise you what might be best for your current finish. Especially being able to see it in person.

Comment

I can't as they are on the days that I have Chemistry Class late at night and I live about 5-8 hours away from Irvine, CA. That and that I wouldn't dare take the Lexus down there, mostly due to how much gas money I would need to spend to drive it down there. I'm talking about 9 MPG gas guzzling consumption.

Comment

Oh my bad. I thought you lived nearby. I'm gonna try to cut short my commitments earlier that day by an hour. Otherwise I'd be looking at leaving LAX Airport at 5pm. and trying to make it to Irvine in dead center of rush hour. If I start my trip at 4pm. I'll at least give myself a decent chance to arrive within time.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');