• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Wax Applied to Interior Wood Furnitures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Wax Applied to Interior Wood Furnitures

I read that some people use car wax to interior wood furnitures. It went on to say that we should make sure there is no silicone in the wax.

Did anyone try this in this forum?

Re: Car Wax Applied to Interior Wood Furnitures

along with auto painting/detailing, i am also a woodworker. paste wax has been used for centuries as a finishing material itself and a finish protector. If used properly, paste wax will provide a thin, hard, lasting finish. Waxes dry hard so they do not smear and attract dust and dirt. Paste waxing typically lasts 3-5 years, depending on how much the furniture is used and how many coats are applied. Table tops and chair arms are an exception, generally needing to be waxed once a year, due to the extra wear they receive. Many people, especially antique lovers, prefer the soft sheen provided by paste wax. Also, waxes do not interfere with future refinishing like silicone polishes most often do. Paste wax is hard work. It will take 4-6 hours to paste wax a dining room set and if done properly will not need waxing again for years. It requires effort, but you won't obtain a more durable, beautiful protection than paste wax. Remember, the wax protects the finish, the finish protects the wood. To dust or clean, just wipe with a soft damp, lint free cloth.

A typical can of past wax cost less then $15.00 and if the lid is put back on properly after each use will last the average home owner 20 years or so. Now consider the advertisements that tell you to dust every day with there $3.00 per can spray polish. All right, now do the math. One $3.00 can a month for next 20 years ($720.00) verses one can for 20 years at $15.00. Next consider the time factor. Lets say it takes 5 minutes once a week to use a spray polish on your dinning room set. 5 minutes times 52 weeks times 4 years: that's a little over 17 hours spent giving your set a non-protective shine. With past wax it took 5 hours to wax the first time then you spent 1 more hour per year doing the table top and chair arms the next 3 years, that's 8 hours spent giving your set a protective coating that has extended the life of the finish.

One more thing. Make sure you use a wax designed for wood furniture. Some shoe and car waxes can cause problems on some finishes.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I myself use Beeswax for my wood furniture.

I started the thread because I read somewhere that people use car wax.

Comment

Yes you can. I would pick a carnauba based wax just for the hardness. Meguiar's was founded on furniture wax. Resin on furniture is non pigmented paint. so use what ever you have. And are you referring to the "no silicone" on bare wood?

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
          Yes you can. I would pick a carnauba based wax just for the hardness. Meguiar's was founded on furniture wax. Resin on furniture is non pigmented paint. so use what ever you have. And are you referring to the "no silicone" on bare wood?
          I was referring to car waxes with silicone.

I have a lot of Meguiars waxes, not mostly synthetic waxes. Not sure which one is safe for wood.

Comment

as long as it's not bare wood any wax will do. the best is the one your going to like to put on and the look of it. So do a test spot.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I just tried Ultimate Liquid Wax on my coffee table and it looks great. Not sure of the long term effect, I will probably go back to Beeswax next time.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');