• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1968 Corvette -Lacquer Respray in 1980 - How to bring it back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Corvette -Lacquer Respray in 1980 - How to bring it back?

Bought a '68 corvette back in 1980 after college. Had it professional repainted that year. Marriage, kids, work, tuitions, etc, etc. Have never really finished the car until now. So 32 years later, the car has spent most of it s years under a cover in the garage but has seen some time outside in rain.
    The paint is good but tired. Had not really waxed it that many times over the years because of lack of use.

Don’t want to spend money on another respray just yet, would like to see how much I can bring it back myself. Have not used a buffer much over the years, figured I would do more harm than good.

Would love some suggestions on how to approach bring the Rally Red color back to life.

Appreciate any suggestions

Thanks

Re: 1968 Corvette -Lacquer Respray in 1980 - How to bring it back?

Try this link to an article by Mike Phillips

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints Restoring original and antique paint In the collector car hobby world, there’s a lot of interest in restoring and preserving original paint on classic and antique cars. Restoring the original...
    Bill Strobel
    aka theamcguy
    Owner Independent Towing
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All.

Comment

Any chance of pics?

Shouldnt be too hard to fix up a good bit.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I can attest to the effectiveness of the process in the article linked to by Bill, theamcguy.
        I followed the Mike's tutorial two years ago when I was attempting to bring the 25 year-old paint on my Camino back from near-dead condition.
        Don't underestimate the healing qualities of Meguiar's #7 to old lacquer paint.

Bill

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');