• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi & a bunch of newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi & a bunch of newbie questions

I have been searching these forums a lot for the past few weeks and found a lot of useful info. Been a fan of M since the 3 step process was first introduced.

I am now driving a 2005 Saturn Vue that has been passed around the extended family for the last couple years and not taken the best care of - there were some areas that looked almost like sanded; probably people setting stuff on the hood. Scratches in the side where my wife had been dragging her metal studded purse across the paint as she got in the car. I did dawn wash – clay – Ultimate Compound – Dawn again - DC2 - quick NXT2. Two days later I did regular car wash, QD, NXT2.0 (dried for 1/2 hour) and finally Ultimate Carnuba liquid (dried for 1/2 hour). Stunning results! Removed 95% of all the damage and looks better than when my dad first bought it in 2006 with 20K miles on it.

I just ordered some D156 and plan on running with that till next spring. I should mention this was all much easier than the last time I did something this cumbersome maybe 6 years ago (been driving a junker since then) – products seem to have come a significant way WRT ease of removal.

My wife is now in a new to us 2010 Altima with 108K Miles on it. Paint looks pretty good. Questions:
    1) When do I need to UC? Can I just dawn wash – clay – QD - DC2 – NXT – Carnuba her car? Should I only ever UC again when I feel like there are scratches, etc that need work?
    2) How often do you clay for a car that gets washed every week or two? What do you do after claying? Just rewash/QD or D156?
    3) What kind of cloth do you use for cleaning windows? My problem seems to be fibers left behind.
    4) For a mildly soiled car is it okay just to rinse at the quarter wash and QD?

Re: Hi & a bunch of newbie questions

Hmm.. You will certainly want to look into something other than Dawn for your washing. Gold Class is a pretty good soap, and can look at 2 buckets, Grit Guards, good mitts, towels, etc. All help to reduce swirls over time.

1) You would only need UC if the paint had swirls, scratches to remove. Being a used car, it does seem like some kind of paint cleaner would be good though. You could apply UC a bit milder, of buy a milder product like Ult. Polish or SwirlX.

So should look something like:
    1. Wash - Gold Class
    2. Clay
    3. Clean/Polish - Ult. Polish
    4. Wax
    5. Wax

2) You would only clay maybe twice a year when you are doing the 'complete' detail. Unless you got sprayed by something, like paint for instance.

After washing, UQW/D156 is great to use while drying.

3) I have had good success with the Target Vroom brand ones... but every once in a while one will leave lint behind... no idea why.

4) Ehh... You would be better with rinsing and then using either the Ult. Wash and Wax Anywhere or the Rinseless Wash (better price, but may want a coat of UQW/D156 after).
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      Hmm.. You will certainly want to look into something other than Dawn for your washing. Gold Class is a pretty good soap, and can look at 2 buckets, Grit Guards, good mitts, towels, etc. All help to reduce swirls over time.

1) You would only need UC if the paint had swirls, scratches to remove. Being a used car, it does seem like some kind of paint cleaner would be good though. You could apply UC a bit milder, of buy a milder product like Ult. Polish or SwirlX.

So should look something like:
      1. Wash - Gold Class
      2. Clay
      3. Clean/Polish - Ult. Polish
      4. Wax
      5. Wax

2) You would only clay maybe twice a year when you are doing the 'complete' detail. Unless you got sprayed by something, like paint for instance.

After washing, UQW/D156 is great to use while drying.

3) I have had good success with the Target Vroom brand ones... but every once in a while one will leave lint behind... no idea why.

4) Ehh... You would be better with rinsing and then using either the Ult. Wash and Wax Anywhere or the Rinseless Wash (better price, but may want a coat of UQW/D156 after).
      Thanks a lot! So, it is safe to D156 after D114?

Comment

Sure. Little more work, but thats just up to you. Would have to compare the price somehow to the UW&WA, but most likely cheaper, and a better wax.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');