• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you all recommend as far as cleaning a car's undercarriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you all recommend as far as cleaning a car's undercarriage?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering, in the next few weeks I plan on cleaning my car's undercarriage, and I mean DEEP CLEANING. I saw a few things that have some stuck on gunk and some slight rust on them. What does Meguiar's recommend as far as how to clean the undercarriage and how to remove light rust from things such as exhaust pipes and other metal things under neath? Thank you all for your time.
    Strader327

Professional photographer and owner of STRADER Motorsports Photography

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strad...41121349262327

Re: What do you all recommend as far as cleaning a car's undercarriage?

Well, if your undercarriage is anything like mine, you'd probably want to start with Super Degreaser or a very strong solution of APC/APC+.

These are both good all purpose cleaners for getting dirt and grime off of things. As for the rust, well, rust isn't going away. You can scrape it off, but it'll be back. There are some rust inhibitors and anti-corrosion compounds you can use on your undercarriage, but I don't have any experience with them unfortunately.

Comment

I would think about using a pressure washer, power washer or a steamer too, just be careful using it. Gunk also sells a heavy duty engine cleaner in an aerosol can that is relatively cheap and works good.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
      "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

im wondering the same thing. i guess the best thing to do would be to just keep it clean from day one.. although. i think i might fashion up some kind of soap sprayer and let the bottom soak with ultimate wash and wax. let it sit while i wash the truck then rinse it all. seeing as how i was my truck weekly or every other week at least, the wash and wax should hold up fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorsports-X View Post
          im wondering the same thing. i guess the best thing to do would be to just keep it clean from day one.. although. i think i might fashion up some kind of soap sprayer and let the bottom soak with ultimate wash and wax. let it sit while i wash the truck then rinse it all. seeing as how i was my truck weekly or every other week at least, the wash and wax should hold up fine.
          IMO Ultimate Wash and Wax will not work well on cleaning the undercarriage or maintaining it, way too mild.
          You need a degreaser like a strong APC mix (APC and Dawn), Gunk, Zep...................etc, preferably with a power washer or a steamer. Even for maintenance of the undercarriage I use Megs APC+, let it dwell, then agitate with several different brushes and then power wash it off.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
          "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

that may be so on a older car, but i have a brand new truck so im going to keep it clean from day 1. my though process is that a good coating of wash and wax will make it easier to keep clean. specially if i do it every week like i plan on.

Comment

Some people just park over a sprinkler for a while. But I would be sure to have soft water at least first...
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');