• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Brake Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Brake Dust

I recently painted my rims white. I have some serious brake dust that is refusing to budge.

I have tried:
    1) Wheel Cleaner
    2) Brake caliper cleaner
    3) Carb cleaner
    4) Degreaser
    and so many more but cannot remove this brake dust. I have ordered Meguairs Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner / Car Alloy Wheel & Tyre Cleaner.

Will this work? Last resort is to hit it with the buffer and ultimate compound.

How can i protect the rims from this brake dust?

Wow that is some arsenal you have tried, give them megs wheel brighter 3:1 and break dust will go crying home. Although it might damage the paint

Comment

Re: Removing Brake Dust

How long has the dust been sitting on the paint?

I would try clay.

Comment

WD-40? A layer of wax afterwards will keep the dust from sticking again. I wax my wheels when I wax my cars and on the rare occasion that I need something stronger than my paint shampoo, I use All Purpose Cleaner.

Comment

I would repaint them, including a layer of clear coat. When the paint is thoroughly dry, I'd spray so Brake Barrier on them, per instructions on the can. And then never lhem get so dirty something like Last Touch can't do the job. For the all the time you're spending trying out different things, you've just been beating up your paint anyway. Might as well start from scratch.

Comment

In addition to the recommendations in prior postings, I've had some success claying painted wheels.

I have used mild and aggressive clays to remove brake dust (and other contaminants). Results really depends on how badly the wheel is stained.
            Andy W.
            Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
            Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

brown royal is the best stuff i have EVER used and is gentle on paint

Comment

Brown Royal seems to work alot like Iron-X. I have restored some pretty bad wheels with Iron-X. Its not very cheap, but it does a great job.
                Dr. Detail: I am the detail genius from the movie "Shine."
                Guard: And your name is...?
                Dr. Detail: Uhh... Shiney McShine.

Comment

brown royal is really cheap. like 18 a gallon and you can dilute it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The brake dust hasnt been there for long and rims were painted just a month ago.
                    I am in Nairobi. Kenya so getting some of the stuff will be a challenge.
                    I will try the clay and WD-40 if not will just hit it with the rotary. last resort have them painted again.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');