• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to detailing - critique my method!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to detailing - critique my method!

Hey everyone,

Like the title states, I am new to world of detailing. I have a Brilliant Black (non metallic) 2010 Audi A4. I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought a black car. Well... I am here now.

I haven't really maintained the car's finish for the 1.5years that I have had it. It has spent most of its lifetime sitting outside. As such, there are now minor water stains on the finish. In addition, it has some light swirling.

The car has been washed/waxed regularly and clayed occasionally, although I have not done any extensive detailing.

The car is now going to be garaged most of the time. Now that the paint isn't going to be subjected to extreme conditions, I would like to restore it a bit.

What would you guys suggest as a "beginner's kit?" I am by no means going for a "show car shine." I just want a overall nicer finish. (Everything will be done by hand)

Here is what I have lined up:

Products I currently own:
    Gold Class Wash
    Gold Class Carnauba Plus Wax
    Meguiar's Clay
    Wash mitt
    Foam applicator pad
    Microfiber applicator pad
    Lots of Meguiar's MF cloths
    ScratchX 2.0
    Quick Detailer

Products I plan to purchase:
    Ultimate Compound
    Ultimate Polish
    Ultimate Liquid Wax
    Pack of two applicator pads
    Ultimate Detailing Spray

Plan of attack:
    1) Wash with Gold Class Wash + sheet water off
    2) Clay with Quick Detailer
    3) Ultimate Compound with foam applicator
    4) Ultimate Polish with foam applicator
    5) Ultimate Liquid Wax with foam applicator (or should I use the microfiber applicator?)
    6) Ultimate Detailing Spray to finish off and after subsequent washes between waxes

How does that sound? Should I be worried about using the Ultimate Compound? My car is pretty new and the paint is in good condition - I am just worried about making it worse than it is now. I have read that a few people like using M26 over the Ultimate Wax. Should I consider this? If I do that, would it be bad to use the UQD over the M26?

Thanks!

Re: New to detailing - critique my method!

Make sure you are washing with two buckets, probably good to look into some Grit Guards.

I like foam pads for applying everything.

The Ult. Compound is safe to use... just be sure to do a test spot first, dont do the entire car and then check your work. Really it is just a matter of even pressure (palm/area under fingers) and not finger tips, and working a reasonable sized area (1 ft square to start).

The wax is up to you... I'd start with two of Ult. Wax for now. No need for the UQD follow up, may even be a bad thing.

I would want the Ult. Quick Wax for after future washes.

Nothing wrong with UQD or UQW over M26.

And then future details, you would just need the Ult. Polish, should be no need for the strong cleaner every time.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      Make sure you are washing with two buckets, probably good to look into some Grit Guards.

I like foam pads for applying everything.

The Ult. Compound is safe to use... just be sure to do a test spot first, dont do the entire car and then check your work. Really it is just a matter of even pressure (palm/area under fingers) and not finger tips, and working a reasonable sized area (1 ft square to start).

The wax is up to you... I'd start with two of Ult. Wax for now. No need for the UQD follow up, may even be a bad thing.

I would want the Ult. Quick Wax for after future washes.

Nothing wrong with UQD or UQW over M26.

And then future details, you would just need the Ult. Polish, should be no need for the strong cleaner every time.
      Thanks for you reply! - I will just use 2 applications of the Ultimate Liquid Wax without a top coat of M26 (don't want to make myself crazy) and skip step 6 on my list. Can I use UQD in-between washes? Then after just a normal wash I should use UQW?

Comment

Should I use Gold Class Quik detailer instead of UQD?

Comment

The UQW is nice after a wash, because it needs a clean surface, and will add more durable protection than the QD type products.

As far as in bewteen washes, that is where a QD type product could be used. They would be good for removing bird droppings, hard water drips, etc. And then if it is light dust, they can be used to go over the whole car. The usual question is what counts as 'light dust', and it is kind of subjective, not really a good anser for it.

As far as which qd... you would want the regular QD for claying.

The UQD may leave more of a shine, and leaves a water repelling polymer behind. The GCQD leaves a nice deep rich look on dark colors, my Dad liked it when he tried it on his dark red car. just kind of up to you on that one, as far as dusting/removing droppings.

Comment

Oh, and be sure to read up on applying the Ult. Wax. It has worked well for me, but some people have issues, usually from applying to heavy I think.

You want to barely see your coat of wax when applied, and can use a slightly damp cloth then a dry one to help remove.

Comment

Oh, and be sure to read up on applying the Ult. Wax. It has worked well for me, but some people have issues, usually from applying to heavy I think.

You want to barely see your coat of wax when applied, and can use a slightly damp cloth then a dry one to help remove.
              Yea - I saw a lot of reviews on amazon that said it was hard to remove/left streaks. From what I gather, I should use a very light coat. This video says you can apply it in sections, or apply to the whole car then wipe off. I prefer the latter method. Is it bad letting it dry on the car? (Does the swipe test still apply with ULW?)
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I will get UQW for subsequent washes. Like you said, I may just use the normal QD for spot removal/dustings. So I guess there really isn't a need for UQD or GCQD... (The many different quick detailers has my head spinning...)

Comment

Yeah, the qd sprays are kind of variety of things to cover what different people might like.

When I have used the ULW, I applied to the whole car, then started back around removing right away. I just had a slightly damp towel and a dry one, a wipe of one, then a wipe of the other. Wasnt anything hard, but I tried to keep the application very very thin.

I dont think the ULW exactly ever dries really, just kind of removing the little bit of excess. I think of it almost like RainX really.

Comment

Yeah, the qd sprays are kind of variety of things to cover what different people might like.

When I have used the ULW, I applied to the whole car, then started back around removing right away. I just had a slightly damp towel and a dry one, a wipe of one, then a wipe of the other. Wasnt anything hard, but I tried to keep the application very very thin.

I dont think the ULW exactly ever dries really, just kind of removing the little bit of excess. I think of it almost like RainX really.
                  Good to know. Thanks...

I'm still debating whether I should do a coat of M26 over the two coats of ULW... If I were to do the top coat of M26, would I still be able to use UQW after future washes?

Here is my plan as it stands now:

Full Detail:
                  1) Wash with Gold Class Wash + sheet water off
                  2) Clay with Quick Detailer
                  3) Ultimate Compound with foam applicator
                  4) Ultimate Polish with foam applicator
                  5) Ultimate Liquid Wax with foam applicator
                  6) ?M26?

In-between washes:
                  Quik Detailer or Gold Class Quik Detailer or Ultimate Quik Detailer

Wash:
                  1) Wash with Gold Glass Wash + sheet water off
                  2) Dry with honeycomb drying towel
                  3) Ultimate Quik Wax

Comment

I think the process in the last post looks good. To that I would add:
                    I would start with the UC on a foam applicator. Since you have a MF applicator, you can try that if the foam is not getting the results you're looking for. The MF should be a bit more aggressive but might also leave some marring, so always do a test spot first.
                    You state in the original post the you already have Gold Class. Since you will be applying Ultimate Wax first, that will give you the great durability. I would use up the Gold Class on top of the Ultimate before going and buying M26. They both have the warm carnauba look. I am definitely a fan of M26, but I would use the GC you already have before buying another bottle of wax.
                    Also, you can use any of the quick detailer or quick wax products over any of the waxes. It will not hurt anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cardoni View Post
                      I think the process in the last post looks good. To that I would add:
                      I would start with the UC on a foam applicator. Since you have a MF applicator, you can try that if the foam is not getting the results you're looking for. The MF should be a bit more aggressive but might also leave some marring, so always do a test spot first.
                      You state in the original post the you already have Gold Class. Since you will be applying Ultimate Wax first, that will give you the great durability. I would use up the Gold Class on top of the Ultimate before going and buying M26. They both have the warm carnauba look. I am definitely a fan of M26, but I would use the GC you already have before buying another bottle of wax.
                      Also, you can use any of the quick detailer or quick wax products over any of the waxes. It will not hurt anything.
                      Thank you for your reply! This forum is incredibly helpful

I believe I read somewhere that the Gold Class wax may have cleaning agents in it. So I got the idea that using the GC over the ULW would strip/damage the layer of ULW... I found that the M26 is more of a 'pure' wax which would work better over ULW.

If I am mistaken in my logic, I will definitely use the GC over the ULW as I already have a mostly full bottle.

How long should I wait for the ULW to cure? Would 12 hours be enough?

Comment

You can always do a test panel of the Gold Class/#26, and just stand back and look at it, see what you think.

Yeah, 12 hours would be good, and can just dust off the panel if it needs it.

GC has more molishing oils in it, not cleaners.

Comment

You can always do a test panel of the Gold Class/#26, and just stand back and look at it, see what you think.

Yeah, 12 hours would be good, and can just dust off the panel if it needs it.

GC has more molishing oils in it, not cleaners.
                          In that case it shouldn't strip the ULW, correct?

Comment

No. GC wont strip ULW.
                            Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
                            2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
                            2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Those would be polishing oils as well....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');