• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QN : product to follow up after UC/wetsanding ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QN : product to follow up after UC/wetsanding ?

hi,

first things first.. i must say that I am liking Meguiar's product more each time I use it..

I began using UC after trying to find a suitable product to 'clean up' the 2000 grit sanding marks I inflicted onto my Mazda 3 Carbon Grey Mica. I was wetsanding touch up paint and after using few other products, I stumbled across UC.. Not only did UC bring back the color/shine to the sanding spots (2-3 applications with lots of passion behind the MF cloth), it seems to have removed surface oxidation as well (i could see brownish residue as i wiped off the first application). I will probably need 1 or 2 more applications to remove the water spots which have been there for quite a while..

anyway.. back to the topic.. after i wetsanded the paint with 2000grit and applied UC, there were some spots where scratches (sandpaper inflicted) could still be seen (perhaps 2 out of 10 different spots). it can't be seen straight on from the front of the car (i sanded in the front-back direction) , and you have to be at the side, with the sun bouncing off the bonnet to see it .

QN : is there any consumer line product that I can use to help on those spots?

while the Meguiar's Singapore distributor is near my place, I am not sure if they actually entertain walk in customers.. I get most of my products from the automotive stores which carry multiple brands and limited range of each brand.

Re: QN : product to follow up after UC/wetsanding ?

sorry! i did not mention.. I do not have a DA ( i would like to get the G220v2, but do not have power source in the area I wash my car), so I will be doing this by hand ( with passion, when required)

Comment

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is the most aggressive consumer product they offer. Unfortunately, you need to get a professional product such as Mirror Glaze M105 to remove those sanding marks completely. UC was never designed to remove sanding marks but M105 was designed to remove up to 1200 grit (I think) sanding marks.
      2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

can I work the #105 by hand? if I can do walk in at Meg's Singapore, I might be able to get the smaller bottle..

Comment

Sure you can. It just won't be as effective as with a machine.

You should get there eventually though, providing the remaining scratches you're trying to remove aren't too deep. Can you feel them with your fingernail?
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

nope.. i can't really feel them.. nor can most people see it without me pointing it out to them.. but it irks me as I know where it is and i keep looking at it.. i think i can handle doing small spots repairs with the #105 by hand... would need the machine to handle the whole car tho..

aside to using #205 to finish up the #105 step, can I use Ultimate Polish instead?

on a separate note, over here, the machine is about USD290 without any pads whatsoever.. and the other issue is that most of us stay in apartments, so there isnt a power source for the G220v2.. i would love to get one tho.. and if i do get the machine, i may want to wet sand the whole car.. currently , those spots where i did some sanding, have a nice flat mirror finish, whereas the whole car is still having the orange peel reflection..

Comment

You're not really supposed to feel sanding marks especially with the higher grit ones.

You should be able to remove the sandin marks with M105. Just use some elbow grease and passion. You need to be cautious about sanding the entire car. Factory clear coats tend to be very thin so removing that extra layer of UV protection could spell disaster for you paint.

M205 or UP will work either way to finish up the M105 step. M105 tends to finish very well anyway except for those very soft paints.
              2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

roger that! thanks for the info.. need to source out the #105 for now

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');