• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellow pad vs V9000 vs. W7000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow pad vs V9000 vs. W7000

I have two black vehicles of my own that I am detailing and getting ready to sell.

Neigher one have any swirl marks yet, but I am afraid if I use the wrong pad I will create them. I ususlly apply way/polish by habd.

One vehicle has some surface scratches from dog jumping up on the tailgate, and other from natural wear and tear.

CAn somebody give me a run dundown of what pads to use to buff, and polish these?

I have tried using the scratch x to remove some of teh scratches by hand, with a bit of success. I also have the ultimate compound, but havent used it just yet.

I was thinking about:
    1) using the scratch x by hand for spot scratches
    2) using the W7000 for ultimate compound (yelloowish brown pad) applied by variable speed (dewalt) polisher
    3) and final polish with the w9000 (Maroon pad) applied by variable speed (dewalt) polisher

Would I remove the compound, and polish by hand?

Thanks again for the help.

Apex

Re: Yellow pad vs V9000 vs. W7000

IT looks as if the W7000 and the W9000 pads I just bought at Advanced Auto are old pads that have been replaced?

I saw a post (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-how-many-pads) that is similar to what I want to do, but I don't know how to correlate it to my pads?

Yellow and black pads vs. the W7000 and W9000 pads?

Thanks again for any help.

Comment

There are a few different "series" of Meguiars pads.

The W7000 (brown cutting), W8000 (yellow polishing), W9000 (tan finishing) are all 8 inch pads for use on a rotary buffer.

The W7006 (brown cutting), W8006 (yellow polishing), W9006 (tan finishing) are 6.5 inch pads for rotary / DA use.

The W7207 (brown cutting), W8207 (yellow polishing), W9207 (black finishing) are Meguiar's newest pads -- 7 inch pads for rotary / DA use.

I would not use a rotary (I'm assuming the Dewalt tool you have is rotary and not a dual-action polisher) for the first time on a car you care about, most people practice on hoods of old cars or on old junkers.

If you are going to go over the entire car, I would use the following:

W8xxx Pad with Ultimate Compound -- this will remove swirls and do a great job of cleaning up the paint and stripping any oxidation. Note that Ultimate Compound is more aggressive than ScratchX.
      W9xxx Pad with Ultimate Polish or some other polish of your choice
      W9xxx Pad with a wax of your choice.

Take a look at some of the Thursday Night Open Garage pictures -- they great outstanding results with Ultimate Compound on a polishing pad, followed by Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax on a finishing pad (They use the Meguiars dual action polisher and the Wx207 series pads, also known as the Soft Buff 2.0 pads).

Hope this makes sense, it's alot of number of and info!

Comment

Thanks for the info. IT makes sense.

The comment about not using the Dewalt rotary on the vehicles; is that becasue of he cutting action of the pads? Is it too aggressive?

I ahve used other cheap buffers in the past, but this will be the first time with a rotary tool such as this.

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

The reason I would avoid using a rotary for the first time on a vehicle you care about is because there is a tremendous amount of technique involved in properly using the tool. A rotary with a cutting pad can burn completely through paint (all the way down to the body panel) in a matter of seconds if you catch an edge or keep the pad in one place too long.

I know the thought of spending $150 on a dual action polisher seems steep, especially if you already have a rotary, but if you burn through your paint with a rotary the only solution is having the area repainted. Just my advice -- many people go straight to a rotary and are just extremely careful and delicate with it, and they turn out fine results. I however, would not ever have my first rotary experience be on a car I cared about. I'd rather work by hand and know I wasn't going to damage the finish.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');