• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the steps after using ultimate compound and before waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the steps after using ultimate compound and before waxing

Hey, I wonder what product to use between the UC and the wax?

I've read some ppl said, after use UC, the paint will start to lose clarity, and they strongly suggest some mild abrasive polish, like swirl X or UP BEFORE wax.

I have neither Swirl X or UP, but I have scratch X 2.0 and Deep crystal polish. One is a little stronger than swirl X and the other is non-abrasive.

Do you think those two can be applied as substitutions of UP? or I still have to go to store and pick up swirl x/UP for this step?

Of cause I understand I need to wax the car at the very last.

Thanks very much!

Re: the steps after using ultimate compound and before waxing

Have you used the UC yet? If the UC finishes out good, you dont really need anything.

Can always SwirlX/Ult Polish next time.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I did try UC on another car. Last time UC finishes really good on those spots. So this time I would try it on my entire car(or large part). Just wanna have a back-up plan if UC won't leave a clear finish on mine

Comment

It is certainly possible it wont be perfect... cant predict.. but neither of what you have would likely remove much marring left behind.

So having some SwirlX etc would be good, or just worrying about that the next detail.

Removing swirls over an entire car is time consuming anyway, having to do two steps would be worse... so however you feel like breaking it up.

Comment

Thanks Murr. I think I will just pick up a swirl X some time. Last time I played with UP is really disappointing. So I returned that thing. Hopefully I won't screw up this time.

Comment

SwirlX would be the stronger cleaner if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Have you used the UC yet? If the UC finishes out good, you dont really need anything.

Can always SwirlX/Ult Polish next time.
              you are right.i used UC on my year old chevy truck.finish was fine but i saw some very small swirls,not many.
              so i used UC by hand not rubbing hard.
              it made finish smooth and added NO scratchs.
              very nice shine.
              then next i used 3MFILLNGLAZE which i have used for years until i went to alL MEGUIERS now.
              i really feel all i had to do was use the NXT 2.0 after UC.but glaze gives you a deep color look on dark trucks, so i used that next.

UC made my finish real smooth on NEW clearcoat a year old with no defects.most would say why did you use it.i wanted to see if it did make difference ,good or bad.

nothing but good after using it by HAND.

Comment

Originally posted by szjalo View Post
                Hey, I wonder what product to use between the UC and the wax?

I've read some ppl said, after use UC, the paint will start to lose clarity, and they strongly suggest some mild abrasive polish, like swirl X or UP BEFORE wax.

I have neither Swirl X or UP, but I have scratch X 2.0 and Deep crystal polish. One is a little stronger than swirl X and the other is non-abrasive.

Do you think those two can be applied as substitutions of UP? or I still have to go to store and pick up swirl x/UP for this step?

Of cause I understand I need to wax the car at the very last.

Thanks very much!
                no expert ,just person for 46 yrs that used just about everything on car/truck.
                UC put on by hand,i think its very hard to hurt your finish on clearcoat.with machine,i dont know,i never used one.

but by hand your finish on clearcoat should not be harmed in anyway .i did my whole 1 yr old truck kept in garage with UC to see if it would just clean finish before i waxed.

it did and did remove or hide some fine swirls i had.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');