• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing a Challenger R/T this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing a Challenger R/T this weekend.

It looks just like this, only blue.

The tape that's on the hood is a little faded from the sun. What can I use to bring it back to life?

These are the steps I'm taking..

1. wash and dry
    2. clay bar
    3. UC
    4. UP
    5. UW
    6. treat and dress all rubber, exterior plastic, dress tires and clean windows.

Re: Detailing a Challenger R/T this weekend.

Can try a trim product like Ult. Protectant, Trim Detailer, etc on the vinyl stickers.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

yeah, that's what I'm going to use on the rubber and plastic. I'll try it on the tape too. Thanks!

Comment

How much are you charging if you dnt mind me asking?

Comment

I'd imagine that Gold Class Trim Detailer would get the stripes looking good at first but would only run in the rain and make a mess.

Ultimate protectant is a good idea though.

I'd even be tempted to try a light pass of Ultimate Polish on them. Don't hold me to it, but I think it may just work. Certainly keep the UC off them.

Do an incospicuous test spot first of course..
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I hope you have a DA polisher

When I was first starting out I thought I could do a full restoration by hand -- I quickly found out that this is not very realistic unless you have A LOT of time and A LOT of energy.

Comment

By the time you finish joy riding that thing,how are you going to find time to do all this work?
              Originally posted by gatorrich View Post
              It looks just like this, only blue.

The tape that's on the hood is a little faded from the sun. What can I use to bring it back to life?

These are the steps I'm taking..

1. wash and dry
              2. clay bar
              3. UC
              4. UP
              5. UW
              6. treat and dress all rubber, exterior plastic, dress tires and clean windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ricadodetail View Post
                How much are you charging if you dnt mind me asking?
                $100. It's my father in-laws, so I got to cut him a break.

Comment

Originally posted by ethereal45 View Post
                  I hope you have a DA polisher

When I was first starting out I thought I could do a full restoration by hand -- I quickly found out that this is not very realistic unless you have A LOT of time and A LOT of energy.
                  All by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                    I'd imagine that Gold Class Trim Detailer would get the stripes looking good at first but would only run in the rain and make a mess.

Ultimate protectant is a good idea though.

I'd even be tempted to try a light pass of Ultimate Polish on them. Don't hold me to it, but I think it may just work. Certainly keep the UC off them.

Do an incospicuous test spot first of course..
                    What* (Family friendly language includes abbreviations -Mark Kleis) are these car manufacturers thinking anyways with putting tape on a painted exterior finish? They never last and always looks bad! Same thing with all of that plastic cladding they use!
                    Last edited by Markus Kleis; Sep 18, 2011, 04:55 PM. Reason: Family friendly language

Comment

Originally posted by daniel clark View Post
                      By the time you finish joy riding that thing,how are you going to find time to do all this work?
                      haha! He would kill me!

Comment

By hand is doable, but you won't see the same results as with a DA polisher unfortunately -- I learned this very very quickly when I first started working by hand.

UC by hand is capable of removing swirls, but I would say you'll be doing more of a "moderate cleaning" than heavy defect removal if you work UC by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorrich View Post
                          WTF are these car manufacturers thinking anyways with putting tape on a painted exterior finish? They never last and always looks like ****! Same thing with all of that plastic cladding they use!
                          I hear ya. I hate stripes / decals on vehicles..
                          Originally posted by Blueline
                          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

sounds good

I actually own a 2010 challenger RT in black, no stripes or anything, but I've found that doing the wheel wells if you weren't already and polishing the exhaust tips on this car really are nice touches. I used some APC and a scrub brush on the wheel wells and treated with Ult Protectant. Just used some wading polish on the tips. I don't envy you doing it by hand, there's a deceptively large amount of sheet metal on that car.

Good luck!
                            Bob Turkovich

Just your average everyday ordinary car crazy hobbyist...

"The Black Pearl"
                            - 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');