• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Restoration Kit Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Restoration Kit Question

I'm currently using the Paint Restoring kit and have a few questions. This is my first time detailing my car on my own.

Car info:
    2000 Toyota Celica, Red. It was last detailed by a professional in fall 2008.

Questions:
    1) I washed the car, twice actually (since I hadn't driven or moved it from garage since last time it was washed but wanted to use the shampoo included in the kit). I let it air dry because we have windows on all sides of the garage with a great breeze today. It was like being in the drying section of a car wash, but not limited to 30 seconds! There are a few water marks but is that a problem since I will clay and polish it? I don't actually have any good drying towels.

2) There are a good amount of swirlmarks and the paint is noticeably faded. However, after researching ultimate compound I'm a little worried about whether or not I should use it. From what I gather it's not something you want to use often but is every 3 years OK? I'm not looking to keep the car forever, just a few more years. It still looks really good for an 11 year old car - even before doing this.

3) I want to touch up some chips and dings. I've heard various opinions on how and when to do this. I can't wait a month as I'm moving this weekend. Would an OK approach be to clay the car, then use UC, then touch up paint the few areas this afternoon and then letting it dry over-night and then waxing tomorrow?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Paint Restoration Kit Question

Do you know if it is single stage paint? Have applicators, etc or anything you used turned red in the past?

1) The idea of the towels is to get the water (and any minerals in the water) off the surface before they dry on from evaporation if the water. I would want to get the spots you have left off ASAP. Claying should take care of it (along with the QD and towel), and then the other steps after, but dont want to wait, that is how they etch in permanently.

2) Ideally, you would use the Ult. Compound this time if needed, and then if you are washing, etc properly, and have some good luck, only mild products would be needed for regular use in the future. If you wanted, you could get a mild product like SwirlX now, and that way can do a test spot of each, see what works now, and then you have the milder product for the future.

3) You'll just need to avoid waxing over the spots that are touched up for 60-90 days. And remember thin coats with a toothpick, not globbed on from the brush.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The swirl marks don't really bother me all that much. I'm not going for making my car showroom material. I just want to shine it up a bit and most importantly protect it from the elements for winter. Would I be better off going with a simpler non-abrasive polish? If getting rid of the marks means making my car more susceptible to Wisconsin winters then it's definitely not the route for me. Then again, UC is what really makes the car shine up and the wax is more of a protectant, correct? Is there a better product for enhancing the color which won't remove the clear coat?

As for your single stage paint question, I've never done anything to the car besides washing it on my own. Is there a way for me to test that?

Last, I see you are a Pirates fan. I'm from Brewer nation. Tough second half for you guys but the future looks bright. This is really the end of our window of opportunity this year. It's this year or never in Milwaukee!

Comment

The swirl marks don't really bother me all that much. I'm not going for making my car showroom material. I just want to shine it up a bit and most importantly protect it from the elements for winter. Would I be better off going with a simpler non-abrasive polish?
        The nice thing with UC or SwirlX is that you can apply them with effort, or just gently. I would say UC is appropriate to think about (cant really say for sure with no pics or being there), but you can apply it more gently also, or put a little more effort behind it, etc.

If getting rid of the marks means making my car more susceptible to Wisconsin winters then it's definitely not the route for me. Then again, UC is what really makes the car shine up and the wax is more of a protectant, correct? Is there a better product for enhancing the color which won't remove the clear coat?
        Might be a couple trains of thought running together there, but lets see..

You'll always have the chance of getting water spots, but house water can be really hard at a lot of homes, and so can cause worse water spots. Kind of a 'control what you can' sort of thing, which means when at home, get the water wiped off.

The UC (or other paint cleaner) would remove the dirt, dead paint, etc, and give the wax a clean finish. If the paint cleaner is strong enough, and applied properly, it can also remove swirls, water marks, etc.

You only really have to do as much as you feel like. It sounds like you want to keep it simple, so you might consider this:

Since you have the kit, this time:
        1. Wash
        2. Clay
        3. Clean - UC, applied gently, or with some effort as you feel like it.
        4. Wax - I forget which wax comes in the kit. Nxt 2.0 or Ult. Wax would be most durable.
        5. Wax - 2 thin coats are best.

And then in the future, this is nice and quick:

1. Wash
        2. Clay if needed
        3. ColorX - this is a cleaner/wax that covers the basic steps all at once, and does a pretty good job of it.
        4. Wax

After future washes, when not detailing, Ult. Quick Wax is great to use to extend the life of the wax.

And then sometime in the future, you may need the UC or something on an area that needs a stronger cleaning.

As for your single stage paint question, I've never done anything to the car besides washing it on my own. Is there a way for me to test that?
        Well, when you use one of the paint cleaners, you'll see if the pad turns red or not. I ask because an older single stage paint can really benefit from a pure polish step, and you had mentioned some fading.

Last, I see you are a Pirates fan. I'm from Brewer nation. Tough second half for you guys but the future looks bright. This is really the end of our window of opportunity this year. It's this year or never in Milwaukee!
        Ehh... its football season now....

Comment

I can comment on the red Toyota as I have one and also live in Wi so similar ecosystem. I have a 91 MR2. The paint was single stage and was turning pink at an alarming rate regardless of my best efforts. I had the best success by using a paint cleaner and then applying a glaze (#7 Show Car Glaze) which would nourish the paint and then apply a sealant (M21). I was able to keep the finish going for about two or three years like this and finally had it repainted. I also plan on keeping the MR2 forever. It's now 20 years old and it looks like new. I got collector plates this year.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

About half done doing the UC now. Seems to be going pretty well. The microfiber towel seems to be getting to the point where it gets most of the UC off but leaves some streaks. I'm going to wax immediately after, do I need to get all the streaks off? Should I use the other towel from the kit even though I used it with the quik detailer?

Last question. Should I wash one of the towels before using it for wax removal?

Comment

One thing you can always use is more towels....

Out of the 2, the QD towel would be better if you had to use a dirty one. But a wash would be best.

Remember to wash MF towels separately, and no fabric softener.

But as long as it is going well, thats all that matters. A streak or two wont kill you, and you'll have a bit of experience for next time.

Comment

Thanks! I washed them (separately) while using the UC. Car is ready to wax now. Should I UC and wax the plastic front and rear bumpers?

Comment

You can use the UC on paint.

You would not want to use it on the bare, gray plastic kind of bumpers.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');