• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with Neglected Polishes: Ultimate Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with Neglected Polishes: Ultimate Compound

Car Year:2009
    Car Colour: Black
    Condition: Watermarks, Swirls, Surface Scratches, Chips(some deep ones), Bird Dropping etch (minor) and Plastic Rub (motorbike handle)

Hi All, I have Black BMW and I noticed that there were serious watermarks on the clear coat. I bought this car second hand and it was only a year old.
    Unfortunately I suspect the previous owner hardly used the car and left it outdoors in the rain and sun, thus the watermarks.

I was told that the removal of watermarks may require proper treatment and possibly more than one treatment to slowly remove them without eating up the clear coat.

Recently I sent the car in for a basic polish(thanks to our local groupon) it wasn't the best job but I did this so that someone else could handle the first treatment and I think they have done decent job in minimising it but some areas still showfaint watermarks.

The problem now, I noticed they have left me with a neglected polish/finish with swirly/zig zag lines when you see the paint against the sun/light. Furthermore the other problems like faint scratches and bird dropping etches were 50% tackled

This is where I thought Ultimate Compound could come in to finish the job. But before I go ahead I wanted some advice.
    So here they are:
    1) Considering that recent polish is now a 1 week old how soon can I start the UC process
    2) Once I'm done with UC I obviously need to protect the coat with Wax. BUT do I really need to use a liquid/paste wax (NXT2.0) or will Ultimate Quik Wax Suffice.
    3) My product application strategy is to do this POLISH:UC > WAX:Ultimate Quick Wax > MAINTENANCE: Ulitmate Quick Detail/Wax...is this enough?

Any advice would be good, BMW paint jobs are pretty good and I wanted to keep it in good condition.
    I have done various detailing on my previous cars and was never pleased with results, I think it was due to wrong process and lack of knowledge. So before I commit to some form of elbow greasing I thought I get some advice from people who know more about detailing.....

Thanks in advance.

Re: Dealing with Neglected Polishes: Ultimate Compound

If they put in buffer trails, you may have a hard/impossible time removing them by hand.

But, you can try a small test spot with UC, work in a few applications, and see if you make any progress on a small spot.

1) Yes, can start anytime.
    2) A liquid or paste will be better protection...
    3) As mentioned above, the liquid or paste wax would be a better foundation, then the spray wax for after future washes.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

You definitely should apply wax after UC, 2 coats.

Not sure how cleab if your paint after your polish. You may consider clay before UC, this will help the UC to be effective.

Comment

Point noted. Thanks
        So I'm thinking of using Ultimate Liquid Wax.
        My question is how often can I use ULW and is it easy enough to use for maintenance (after regular washes) or do I need Ultimate Quik Wax.

Comment

In my experience UPW or NXT2.0 are going to be much more user freindly than ULW. I hit the hoodof my '96 with UC then Ult Polish then ULW and it looked AMAZING for that year with over 100k on it. I have to believe a DA polisher with UC and UP followed by any good wax would have significant results.
          2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Buck91 View Post
            In my experience UPW or NXT2.0 are going to be much more user freindly than ULW. I hit the hoodof my '96 with UC then Ult Polish then ULW and it looked AMAZING for that year with over 100k on it. I have to believe a DA polisher with UC and UP followed by any good wax would have significant results.
            You drove 100K a year?

Back to subject, I found NXT-2 is more user friend than UW. For UW, it seems it makes a big difference how long you leave the product on the car.

I myself wax once every 3-4 weeks which is way too much. Due to the long-lasting nature of the wax, it should last 2-3 months. After every wash and between waxes, UQW is great to bring out the extra shine of your car.
            Also, since there is no cleaner in UW, it is also beneficial to use Cleaner Wax once in a while. You can use Cleaner Wax as the first coat and UW as the 2nd coat.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');