• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I mess up trying to remove some water spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did I mess up trying to remove some water spots?

But I should still use UC right?

Comment

Yeah... just test spot at first.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

OK, so far so good. Most of the spots are on the hood, then there are some on the sides and top of the car, but the hood is the main problem. I've gotten rid of the spots on half the hood so far, but it took almost 2 hours! I'm going to get this thing done today.

So I didn't clay first, I just washed the hood and then applied UC. Let me know if you guys think this is fine:

Saturday
        1) Finish UC today.
        2) Take the car to go out to dinner.

Sunday
        3) Wash car.
        4) Use quick detailer.
        4) Clay car.
        5) 2 coats of NXT wax.

Sound good?

Comment

Typically, clay should go before UC. Otherwise, clay will remove the polish oil in UC.

Comment

So should I not clay after washing tomorrow? I thought if I flayed first then the UC would just remove the clay.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost View Post
              So should I not clay after washing tomorrow? I thought if I flayed first then the UC would just remove the clay.
              Clay is used to remove the surface contaminants and not supposed to leave anything behind. After clay, you should have a clean, smooth surface.
              UC is to correct the paint, clean the surface further and leave the panels with polishing oil. Darker cars need the polishing oil to bring out the shine.

Run your hand through the car, if the panels are smooth, you can skip the clay step and proceed to the wax step. Otherwise, if time permits, clay then UC again.

Mind you that all these advices came from us, detailing enthusiasts who are very, very critical on the appearance of our cars. The purpose of your current exercise is to remove the water spots, UC did the job so maybe you can just apply NXT and call it a day !!!

emoves paint overspray, fallout, environmental contaminants and more

Comment

Yeah, dont over think it and make yourself miserable.

You can UC this time, then clay and use a mild cleaner, etc next time.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

All done with the UC. Thanks to everyone for their help!

So can I still wash the car tomorrow and apply a couple coats of wax?

Comment

Definitely.
                    After the UC, your car is now clean but no protection. You should apply your wax as soon as possible.

Comment

Usually the water spots are only on the flat surfaces anyway. You could just clay the hood one more time because if you can "feel" that the surface is rough, you might really feel a real difference. Then, Ultimate Compound will bring those water spots under control much easier than without the clay process. If you notice any haze or anything from the UC, you can follow up with something milder like ColorX before you wax.

Comment

Originally posted by dtuna42 View Post
                        Usually the water spots are only on the flat surfaces anyway. You could just clay the hood one more time because if you can "feel" that the surface is rough, you might really feel a real difference. Then, Ultimate Compound will bring those water spots under control much easier than without the clay process. If you notice any haze or anything from the UC, you can follow up with something milder like ColorX before you wax.
                        Yeah, but I already used UC. I got all the spots off.

Comment

Just so you know, I had other things to do today and I knew I wouldn't have time for a wash/clay/UC/wax. For me, I just wanted to make sure I could wash/UC to get those spots out. I was worried the spots would be stuck and to tell your the truth, after a first application of UC, I still saw spot remnants. I really had to work at it, but 5 hours later, no spots.

Tomorrow or Monday I'll have more time. So do you think it would be fine to wash/clay/quick coat of UC/wax? Or should I do something else?

Comment

I'd suggest doing a test spot first before jumping to UC. In good light, try the Cleaner/Wax. Try using a foam pad and if that doesn't remove the spots step up to a terry or MF covered pad. If the spots are removed you know that the process will work over the whole car. If not, step up to ScratchX, again, are the spots removed? If not, then I'd step up to UC and try again. Bear in mind that using more aggressive polishes may induce swirls depending on the softness of the paint and the application method/technique. Good lighting is imperative to examine the test spot for this.
                            Jim
                            My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                              I'd suggest doing a test spot first before jumping to UC. In good light, try the Cleaner/Wax. Try using a foam pad and if that doesn't remove the spots step up to a terry or MF covered pad. If the spots are removed you know that the process will work over the whole car. If not, step up to ScratchX, again, are the spots removed? If not, then I'd step up to UC and try again. Bear in mind that using more aggressive polishes may induce swirls depending on the softness of the paint and the application method/technique. Good lighting is imperative to examine the test spot for this.
                              All the spots are gone. I just want to know if I should only wash the car and wax now or do a wash/clay/UC/wax. The other ppl said that should have clayed first before UC but I didn't

Comment

If you feel up to it and have the time, by all meansdo the complete 5-step routine. Otherwise, just wash/wax for now and do the complete process in 1-2 months.

I work slow. the complete routine takes 6-7 hours while the simple wash/wax takes 2 hours.

From where you stand now, either way is perfectly fine.

If I were you, after the 5+ hours of UC yesterday (more importantly, all the water spots were gone), I would just wash/wax and relax for the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');