• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road tar APLENTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road tar APLENTY

My mother has recruited me to wash her car. No big deal I assumed, until I examined just what's going on. There is road tar, all along the lower half; and in some instances actual hanging pieces of asphalt. I have some of Meguiar's bug and tar remover, but I can't imagine it'd be practical in this situation. I'm worried that I will either ruin any towel I try and use (to include any mitts), and I detail for myself and a few close friends, because I enjoy it, not for money. That being said, I'd hate to run through a few products to destroy them, and the finish I'd assume.

Any tips, ideas, other solutions? I have access to a pressure washer, and a fairly good sized arsenal for a weekend enthusiast.

Thanks everyone!
    Click for more pictures of my tC

Re: Road tar APLENTY

Whenever I have alot of tar to remove I use the blue Scott shop towels(no matter what you use it will be garbage after cleaning off tar) and Gunwash( I get mine from a bodyshop supply store). Soak the towel pretty good with the GW. Dab on tar to loosen it up then wipe. Wait a few seconds. It will take a couple of applcations of this to get it all off. Smaller sections may just need a wipe. Rince with water. I usally do one small section at a time. Once it is all off and the area rinced well I continue with the wash and detail. Of course you will have to add some polish/wax/protection to the areas you used the GW on.
    Good luck!!
    Professional Automotive Reconditioning Services
    "You scuff it-I buff it!"

Comment

Stoner's Tarminator works well on heavy tar, spray it on and let it sit and you'll see the tar running off. On heavier deposits you may need repeated treatments and plastic razor blades may be needed to scrape off the worst of it. Kerosene also dissolves tar but it's pretty stinky and difficult to wash off the finish... it absolutely kills soap suds! Tarminator has a more acceptable citrus scent. If you're working in a garage or driveway that you like the finish you may want to lay plastic where the drips will occur. Or do it in the grass. As previously mentioned, don't use towels or rags you ever want to use again.

Clay will remove the more minor deposits.

Comment

I'll check out the Tarminator (LOL). Thanks guys!

Comment

I've had good luck with Turtle Wax's Bug and Tar Remover believe it or not. Available at your local AutoZone or Advance Auto (or similar).

Comment

Odorless Mineral Spirits...dab on a rag or shop towel and gently rub. May take 2 applications to totally disappear. After tar is completely gone, follow up area with quick detailer or wax.
            Ray...
            Graphic Designer and detail semi-freak!

Comment

I've had good results using Body Solvent on fresh tar, even without significant dwell time. My only experience with Gold Class Bug and Tar ended in a broken nozzle on a brand new bottle, so I can't speak to that. I've also tried the Turtle Wax stuff on some old, solidified tar, and it didn't work well.

Comment

+1 on the Odorless Mineral Spirits....

Comment

Do you have a pressure washer?

A pressure washer may aid in dislodging the tar and asphalt.

I would not use any expensive microfibers or anything like that for this. Stick to terry or cotton cloth.

My first attempt would be liberal amounts of Tarminator, let dwell for 30 minutes then repeat as much as needed.

If its fresh it still can be hard to remove so take your time and do it right.
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Tuck -
                    I do have a pressure washer, and it didn't do much at all. That was the first attempt.

I'm pretty hesitant to use mineral spirits on any paint. Just doesn't seem like the best idea. But that's where I'll certainly turn if Tarminator doesn't do it.
                    Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Another option you may want to try (my go to product for tar removal) is Eucalyptus Oil. I'm not sure of where you'd get it in the US, but on our side of the ocean I usually pick it up at the local pharmacy.

Dab it onto the affected areas and let it dwell for 1-2 minutes and wipe off. You may need a second application for heavier tar deposits. I would recommend that you use it in a well ventilated area though - it's one product that cleans tar and clears sinus passages in one simple step.

Comment

I used some OTC Turtle Wax Bug and tar and for the most part never an issue for either dried on bugs or tar.

Comment

we use WD-40 .it also works good for bugs on front grill .

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');