• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing/Washing my New Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing/Washing my New Car

I picked up a 2011 Honda Accord Coupe Crystal Black Pearl. I am a previous owner of a 2003 Honda Civic Coupe Nighthawk Black Pearl. I was able to keep the Nighthawk Black Pearl paint pretty nice over the last 8 years. Did not manage to prevent swirl marks. Nor did I ever figure out how to get rid of them. I sold the 2003 Honda Civic to my girlfriend, so needless to say, I will be continuing to wash/wax her on a weekly basis. I joined to forum to gain some insight about detailing a pearl based black car. To me there is nothing prettier than a nice waxed, swirl free, jet black car driving by. Ok, on to business. So this is a two part post.

First, I have my 2011 Honda Accord Coupe -

What have I done since driving it off the dealer's lot a month ago?

I have washed it on a weekly basis, using Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax. On week two I added a coat of Ultimate Liquid Wax. The liquid wax applied well but I did get some mystery cloud like swirls. They buffed out though when I changed my microfiber towel out. I hand applied the liquid wax. I did have some spot areas where some water spots had gotten into the paint along with a bug or two. I used some Ultimate compound that I applied with my bare finger and just lightly rubbed out the imperfection and wiped of the excess with a seperate microfiber towel. That's all I have done so far. There are some light swirl marks in the paint that I noticed when I picked the car up from the dealership when I first brought the car home. The swirl marks are still there. They are light, but noticeable with a detailed eye.

Concluding this, have I done everything so far to maintain my new car finish and shine? Anything I can improve upon? Do I need other products? Do I need other applicators (DA polisher)?

Second, the 2003 Honda Civic Coupe -

I recently spent a good 4 hours detailing her.

Here's what I did...

Started off with Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax. I applied as follows...

1. Turn on the hose with spray nozzle set to shower mode.
    2. Spray the car down using sweeping left to right and up and down motions.
    3. Fill up my cleanly rinsed car wash bucket half way (about 2 gallons).
    4. Add Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax to half bucket full of water.
    5. Fill up the rest of the bucket until full of water and some suds.
    6. Repeat step 2.
    7. Rinse of Meguiars Wash mit with hose (not over the bucket) on both sides to get rid of any grit or leaf pieces it may have attracted.
    8. Dip my mitt in the bucket and apply the mit to the hood. I don't use a lot of pressure when I wash just enough pressure to keep the mitt from slipping out of my hand. I wash the Hood, Top of the front fenders, A pillars, Windshield, roof, rear window, and trunk lid first. I do about 1/4 of the hood and then rinse the mitt. I do that much area between rinses. I rinse in the bucket and rub both sides of the mit while its in the bucket submerged. If I see any thing dark or discoloring my white wash mit after I have done a section I rinse the mit outside of the bucket with the hose. I rinse its section that has been washed with the hose.
    9. After the whole car has been washed and rinsed, I rinse the car off again repeating step 2.
    10. Once the car is completely rinsed I use Meguiars Water Magnet Microfiber towel to drive of the car. Using sweeping on direction motions. Careful not to apply a lot of pressure to the towel against the car. Only enough to remove the water spots.
    11. Once dry, I use Meguiars quik detailer and a clean meguiars microfiber towel and remove any left over little water spots left from the water magnet.
    12. Throughtout the whole process I am careful not to let any towel or mit hit the ground or a dirty tire or wheel well. If the mitt does, I rinse it off thoroughly. If a towel does, I just get another one and I wash the dirty towel in the washer.

After that....I claybarred her car using quik detailer and a clean microfiber towel. After that, I applied Meguiar's Cleaner Wax with a foam applicator and buffed it out using another clean microfiber towel. After that, I applied Ultimate Liquid Wax with the black foam applicator and hand buffed it out with the black microfiber towel it came with.

The car looks pretty darn good for a 2003 with original paint. But I was wondering if I could be doing more to make it...A) the wax last longer and B) maintain as much of its shine as I could be. There are swirl marks in the paint to, I never could get those out by hand. And plus your expected road rock chips in the front bumper/ grille area. A faint water spot around the windshield washer nozzle that I would like to get rid of. Ultimate Compound maybe?

Sorry for the length...just trying to practice good car maintenance on both black cars.

Re: Detailing/Washing my New Car

I have washed it on a weekly basis, using Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax. On week two I added a coat of Ultimate Liquid Wax.
    OK.. be sure to be using two buckets, Grit Guards, quality mitts, towels, etc.

The liquid wax applied well but I did get some mystery cloud like swirls. They buffed out though when I changed my microfiber towel out. I hand applied the liquid wax.
    Probably just excess wax.... Sounds like Ult Wax takes a second to get used to.

I did have some spot areas where some water spots had gotten into the paint along with a bug or two. I used some Ultimate compound that I applied with my bare finger and just lightly rubbed out the imperfection and wiped of the excess with a seperate microfiber towel.
    Thats ok for one spot... but going to want some smoot foam applicators for really working on the car.

There are some light swirl marks in the paint that I noticed when I picked the car up from the dealership when I first brought the car home. The swirl marks are still there. They are light, but noticeable with a detailed eye.
    You could gently apply some UC over a bigger area, like a panel, and see how it goes since you already have it. But Honda paint can be soft, so dont do too big of an area before checking results. You may need a gentler product, who knows.

Concluding this, have I done everything so far to maintain my new car finish and shine? Anything I can improve upon? Do I need other products? Do I need other applicators (DA polisher)?
    Other than possibly washing, nothing is wrong.

Just a matter of trying to remove the swirls by hand if you want to.

Second, the 2003 Honda Civic Coupe -

I recently spent a good 4 hours detailing her.

Here's what I did...

Started off with Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax. I applied as follows...
    Be sure to search for the "How to Wash A Car Show Car Style" by Mike Phillips video. Dont have the link on hand, but easy to find.
    11. Once dry, I use Meguiars quik detailer and a clean meguiars microfiber towel and remove any left over little water spots left from the water magnet.
    I'll dry with the QD or UQW, no need to wait till after.

After that....I claybarred her car using quik detailer and a clean microfiber towel. After that, I applied Meguiar's Cleaner Wax with a foam applicator and buffed it out using another clean microfiber towel. After that, I applied Ultimate Liquid Wax with the black foam applicator and hand buffed it out with the black microfiber towel it came with.
    OK, good.
    But I was wondering if I could be doing more to make it...A) the wax last longer
    Well, wax will adhere best to a clean surface. So claying is good. Then just a matter of cleaning. You may want to use a bit stronger of a cleaner next time, like SwirlX, or a stronger cleaner/wax like ColorX.

B) maintain as much of its shine as I could be. There are swirl marks in the paint to, I never could get those out by hand. And plus your expected road rock chips in the front bumper/ grille area. A faint water spot around the windshield washer nozzle that I would like to get rid of. Ultimate Compound maybe?
    What did you try on it before? Tried Ultimate Compound all over? How did you apply it?

Of course with 2 cars, a machine may make things easier. But up to you, can decide as time goes on.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      OK.. be sure to be using two buckets, Grit Guards, quality mitts, towels, etc.

Probably just excess wax.... Sounds like Ult Wax takes a second to get used to.

Thats ok for one spot... but going to want some smoot foam applicators for really working on the car.

You could gently apply some UC over a bigger area, like a panel, and see how it goes since you already have it. But Honda paint can be soft, so dont do too big of an area before checking results. You may need a gentler product, who knows.

Other than possibly washing, nothing is wrong.

Just a matter of trying to remove the swirls by hand if you want to.

Be sure to search for the "How to Wash A Car Show Car Style" by Mike Phillips video. Dont have the link on hand, but easy to find.

I'll dry with the QD or UQW, no need to wait till after.

OK, good.

Well, wax will adhere best to a clean surface. So claying is good. Then just a matter of cleaning. You may want to use a bit stronger of a cleaner next time, like SwirlX, or a stronger cleaner/wax like ColorX.

What did you try on it before? Tried Ultimate Compound all over? How did you apply it?

Of course with 2 cars, a machine may make things easier. But up to you, can decide as time goes on.
      I tried to use Ultimate Compound on one section of the car one time. I think it was the trunk lid. I was worried when I started to buff it out because like waxes I have used before I was expecting a shine when I started to buff it out. But instead I was getting a very nasty haze with tons of swirl marks. So I stopped because I was freaked out that I was doing something wrong. I realize now that its not a wax its a compound, but still. I never tried to use UC with a foam applicator again. I would only use it with my finger to remove imperfections (bugs and water marks) and paint smudges from people dinging the side of my car. So, was I getting expected results after I buffed out the UC or was something going wrong?

Comment

Well, UC is pretty strong, and Honda black paint can be soft....

I would be interested in trying SwirlX or Ultimate Polish. Either to use on the swirls, or after the UC.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          Well, UC is pretty strong, and Honda black paint can be soft....

I would be interested in trying SwirlX or Ultimate Polish. Either to use on the swirls, or after the UC.
          I just picked up the Ultimate Polish today at Walmart. So, should I wait a month or two for the ULW to wear off first before claybarring and then do the polish and then a coat of ULW?

BTW, on a black car in the Florida sun about 6-8 hours of the day, how long would ULW last?

Comment

I just picked up the Ultimate Polish today at Walmart. So, should I wait a month or two for the ULW to wear off first before claybarring and then do the polish and then a coat of ULW?
            Well, its up to you. I mean, kind of a waste of wax isnt it, to remove it right away. But if you want to try it, go for it. Up to you. Or maybe at least pick a panel or something with the marring, or with the original swirls, and see what happens.

BTW, on a black car in the Florida sun about 6-8 hours of the day, how long would ULW last?
            Hard to say... maybe someone down there cna chime in with their expereince, or with Nxt, etc.

If you use UW&W, or something like UQW after washing, you will also 'boost' the wax on the car and help it last longer.

Comment

Probably a noob question...but why do I see people post around the forums here that they are using #105 and #26 and etc. Where are they getting the numbers from? Are there products that Meguiar's carries that perform better than what I am using so far? Besides the DA polisher...I know I have been planning to buy one of those things for a while (over a year). I have also read people using a rotary tool. From what I have read that seems to be for the most advanced guys. So if I start using a buffer I should start with the DA polisher first and really master using that before jumping into a rotary tool, correct?
              ____________________________________________________________________
              2011 Accord Coupe EX-L CBP 2.4L DOHC iVTEC

Comment

Also for interior I use Ultimate Protectant for the dash, center console, doors, rear passenger side panels, and rear deck lid. I have leather in my new Accord, so I picked up so Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. Is this pretty much the best thing for leather? Or is there something better to keep my leather looking nice? Other than that for interior I just vacuum it with the bristle brush attachment and the crevice tool attachment. I'll use some EagleOne 20/20 glass cleaner (ammonia free) for the interior windows. And for the outside windows I'll just put a coat of wax on them, is that ok to do? Or should I be using some RainX products for that?

Comment

Originally posted by finishstrong09 View Post
                  Probably a noob question...but why do I see people post around the forums here that they are using #105 and #26 and etc. Where are they getting the numbers from?
                  There is a consumer and professional line. I go to auto paint finishing supply stores to pick up pro-line products.

Originally posted by finishstrong09 View Post
                  Are there products that Meguiar's carries that perform better than what I am using so far? Besides the DA polisher...I know I have been planning to buy one of those things for a while (over a year). I have also read people using a rotary tool. From what I have read that seems to be for the most advanced guys. So if I start using a buffer I should start with the DA polisher first and really master using that before jumping into a rotary tool, correct?
                  I am new here as well, but I suggest taking some time to read. There are sticky's in every forum, as well as every question you asked answered somewhere. I've spent probably a few dozen hours just in the last few weeks reading.

I'm bold in my risk taking, but my test car is 15 years old in this thread. I went to rotary first, have a D/A in the mail. But the rotary is not going to any of my new cars yet - there are so many variables with pad size, speed, pad type, technique, pressure, time worked... and the effect on different types of paints, hardnesses, age and condition.

The more I learn here, the more I realize how little I really know about paint correction...

By hand, you are starting with the right products. Not that the pro products work better, but rather differently. Some are designed only for rotary buffing.

105 happens to be the most aggressive product in the lineup now.
                  It's a "big hammer" in your toolbox, and can chew through soft Honda black on a rotary. Find a beater car like I have, or at least a junkyard hood.

Comment

Comment

Probably a noob question...but why do I see people post around the forums here that they are using #105 and #26 and etc. Where are they getting the numbers from?
                      Check on the front page for a link called "The Numbers" on the right hand side.

They are just part numbers.
                      Are there products that Meguiar's carries that perform better than what I am using so far?
                      The products in the Pro or Detailer Line are not better... they just cover different uses, application methods, more specific situations. The Consumer Lines is for most general use, covering the most situations for general people.

Most of us who have been using Meguiars a while will have some things from all the lines really.
                      Besides the DA polisher...I know I have been planning to buy one of those things for a while (over a year). I have also read people using a rotary tool. From what I have read that seems to be for the most advanced guys. So if I start using a buffer I should start with the DA polisher first and really master using that before jumping into a rotary tool, correct?
                      Yeah, more or less. A rotary is reall only needed for severe defects. if you want the best loosk, and only have mild swirls, just doing your two cars, really not much need for a rotary.

Comment

Thank you, yes I did watch that last night. That was very helpful. I wash the car today using Mike's method and I actually got the whole car washed and detailed and dried in about an 1 hour and 15 minutes. The two bucket method actually made the whole process quicker.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');