• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "How soon to wax?" question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "How soon to wax?" question...

I know this has been answered by many sites on the web, but I can't find info on a situation similar to mine:
    My car has recently been re-painted, and honestly I did not pay a whole lot (not Maaco cheap though!). I just needed to recover the catastrophe that was the peeling clear coated mess sitting in front of my house. Anyhow, it actually looks pretty good, and I would like to keep it that way. I have just begun using nxt 2.0 on another ride (love it!), and I am wondering when it is safe to start using it on the newly painted one. 60-90 days seems to be the most common suggestion for garage-kept [shop said "don't worry about wax for 6 months," but...], but I can't find a suggestion for a car that sits outside in the sun everyday. I'm assuming it would cure faster that way -- half the time the temps have been in the mid 80s --, and I'm wondering if the approximate 60 days since it was painted has been enough wait time. The temps are down in the 70s now, which seems like a perfect time to wax before rainy season, but I want to be fairly confident that I'm not going to mess things up. So, should I just wax it, or ought I wait? Thanks for any help!

Re: Another "How soon to wax?" question...

If it has been 60 days. I say go get it ready for the rainy season. wax it. you should be fine.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

First of all, congrats on the new paint job. I bet it makes the car look much better. Now on to the suggested paint cure time. The 60 days is a general suggestion to cover the industry. Some shops let their paint air dry, so a longer cure time is required for the solvents to flash out. Other shops use a booth to bake the paint at a high temperature, which means the paint is pretty much cured when it leaves the shop. Either way i would say 60 days is plenty of time, get some wax on it!

Comment

Nice avatar, Kyle.

Comment

Thank you for the responses everyone. I think I will go ahead and wax it while the weather is still nice. It was 80F here today! Cooler temps and a bit of rain are expected next week.
          Sorry that I forgot to include the info about the shop's drying technique. I'm positive that it was not baked, so it definitely needed some time. It has been sitting out in the sun though, so I am hoping that that did the trick -- I have a cover that I will use once it has been cured/waxed. Yes KyleGates, it looks so much better! I was quite surprised at how well it came out -- we'll have to see how much life I get out of it. I feel much more comfortable driving around town now, and I am glad that I didn't use the paint as an excuse to waist money on another new car. It also gave me a reason to learn about detailing. My neglect and horrible washing habits [dish soap, old bath towels to dry, nozzle pressure, etc.] are 'no more.' My other 9 month-old ride looks like a million bucks after a good wash/clay/nxt2.0!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');