• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turtle Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtle Wax

This may be a risky question here, but it is indeed legitimate and it really shouldn't be that big a deal since MOL does allow the discussion of other products.

I have a simple question: what has your personal experience been with Turtle Wax? How does it stack up againt Meguiar's? I ask this because I've personally never used Turtle Wax. Not because I'm against it but simply because I don't know about it. As a person interested in detailing, and especially as a detailing blogger, writer, and "guru" within my circle of friends, family members, and co-workers, I'd like to know. It's good general knowledge since their products are also popular. Thanks.

P.S. : Do not turn this into a bash session or flame war! Thanks.
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Re: Turtle Wax

I did write-up on both Turtle Wax Carnauba Cleaner Wax and Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell: Turtle Wax Products

You will see the results at the end. I think these two prodcuts at least were fine.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I use the black wax from them... it works amazingly!

Comment

Their products are ok. I personally like Meguiar's products better though. I also did a Black Cobalt SS for a guy using NXT 2.0 topped by Gold Class Plus and he was amazed at the results. He had used the Turtle Wax Black and said it looked better after I did it than with the TurtleWax Black.
        http://www.facebook.com/SuperiorDetails
        http://www.superiordetails.time2detail.com/

Comment

Turtle Wax is the industry leader. Unfortunately they never got around to marketing to the profesional

Comment

My father and I had a disagreement at one point - he told me I was wasting money buying wax for $15 a bottle when he could get wax (Turtle Wax) for $4. To him, it was the same stuff, and it was crazy to think there was a difference.

One day his Turtle Wax ran out, and he asked to borrow some of mine - this was back in NXT 1.0 days. I tossed him the bottle, and later that day he told me he couldn't believe how much easier it was to work with.

A month later he told me he couldn't believe how different it felt when he washed his truck with a coat of NXT compared to TW.

Let's just say he hasn't picked up a TW product since.

Comment

I don't know. I likeTurtle Wax Super Hard Shell. I think it works pretty well when applied on a properly clayed and prepped surface. Although at this point, really any LSP will look great.
              Tedrow's Detailing
              845-642-1698
              Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I used to use Turtle Wax before I really got into detailing. IMO, they're just average. The regular wax was a pain in the butt to use. I always managed to apply it too thick, which made it a pain in the butt to remove, which meant I was always finding wax marks for weeks afterward. I used to dread waxing. The Turtle Wax Ice products were a hyped up waste of money. Oh, I could go on I suppose, but it would probably turn into a product bashing. I think the only TW product that stands out to me that I every really liked was their spray wax. I don't know why. But UQW still blows it out of the water, hands down.
                Shane
                1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

I use to use TW. I have found that it was a okay product. However when comparing it to Meguair's The tw was harder to remove, lack the durability compared to Meguair's.

Overall, I am very happy I switched to Meguair's.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

In my opinion Meguiar's products are superior in ease of use, and performance.

My experience with TW is limited to their ICE line and their original hard shell wax. I've tried the ICE Wash, Wax/Polish, Interior Cleaner, and Tire Gel. The only two products that I thought were good were the ICE Car Wash, and Interior Cleaner/ Protectant. But I still believe QID, and GC Shampoo are the better choices.
                    Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Turtle Wax Platinum line was pretty good , I dont know about the rest . I would say that for the average person ,Turtle Wax is better then nothing.

Comment

My first wax job was with Turtle Wax hard shell in the old school glass bottle. About 34 years ago when I was about 8 years old my father used to let me wash his 66 Nova. Water hose, bucket, an old towel, and dish washing soap were my tools (give me a break I was 8.) For a surprise I decided to wax his Nova for him. I slathered on about a 3/4 bottle of Turtle Wax in the blazing South Texas sun. To this day I don't know how my father got all of that wax off. I was sent to my room and it took me almost 20 years before I touched another bottle of wax.
                        "What's the first rule when entering a man's car?"

"Respect a man's car, a man respects you."
                        Transporter 2

Comment

Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss Wax is a good product, that was the first bottle of wax i ever bought myself. I also like the matching detailer. Couple of the Ice products are good as well, i quite like the car wash. Gotta start somewhere.

Comment

TurtleWax is ok. I have used better but I have also used much worse. They are just an average product for an average price.
                            ChrisThompsonsCustom@gmail.com
                            www.ChrisThompsonsCustom.webs.com
                            (352) 897-0050

Comment

I used to use their black magic I think it's called, for black vinyl trim & rubber. It looked fine at first but after awhile the black turned to gray & some of the rubber began fading to a white. Don't know if that's because of the silicone or what, but this summer I switched to Mother's back to black & so far that seems a better product for that use. Haven't used Meg's ultimate protectant yet to compare, but that's next. I guess for the average guy, TW gets the job done satisfactorily at a reasonable price.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');