• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 14yr old Audi revived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 14yr old Audi revived!

okay, a quick flash back: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46145 CAUTION! HUGE PICS, i tried to re-size, but the thing wouldn't allow me to edit the thread..

It's an Audi A6 2.8, the 1996 model my dad gave me as my graduate present 8 years ago. Black, original factory paintjob (well, cross out the bumbers..) , and after all the years of hard abuse as daily driver, it's covered in tons of swirls and scratches of all sorts, plus all the nasty things you'd expect to find on a 14yr old paintjob that's never been properly taken care of. But luckily, no rust or cracks.

In the morning, i finished the boot lid, which took me a good 3 hours and i realized that judging by the paint's current condition, it's a mission impossible for me to do the entire car properly, alone, with just one D/A and several pads.

So.. I spent my money on a man.. For his garage, and the big powerful rotary that is. then we washed, clayed and prepared the car for the big moment.

so just how bad was it?

The bonnet after preparation .

Now time to fire up the heavy weapons. We used T-CUT #7 (the most abrasive one the mystery man has to offer) on our rotary, one pass, then 2 (and 3, some areas) passes of UC

Yeees, black, that's progress!

After 4+ hours of hard work, 'bloody hell! i'm done!' said the mystery man i spent some money on, then he ran away for a cup of tea, so now it's all me and my D/A , i followed up with 2 passes of swirlX.

Finally, after a total 6+ hours , it's time to wash the car again and some final touching up. the water effect BEFORE wax.

AND.. ta da!~~

2 coats of NXT tech WAX 2.0 applied, the VERY same bonnet you've seen earlier.

I must say it's most excellent and i'm most satisfied. I'll take it out on a photo trip tomorrow with my new merc by her side.

Re: My 14yr old Audi revived!

I'm glad you are happy with the results, it does look much better.

That being said, your paint still looks quite hazy. You might want to go back to the UC then SwirlX with your DA polisher while the car is still prepped for polishing. It doesn't look like SwirlX alone with the DA did a good enough job on your last 2 passes.

Anyhow, if your happy with the results that's great, but I know you could still take it a step further. You may want to drive it for a few months as is and do it again in the Spring. It looks just fine for a winter daily driver.

Comment

thanks for the advice. It's my lousy camera phone causing all the parallel flares. I tried to clean the lens but just made it worse. ha ha. But as the paint is now perfectly serviceable, i'll see if i can improve it further when i polish the headlights.

Comment

ah, there's a 10min editing deadline on my threads, but anyways, I also have several bottles of ScratchX 2.0 and some Sonax Xtreme nano 3 polish&wax in my trunk, maybe i should use scratchX instead of UC? Because i belive i just polished away most of my clear coat ..

Comment

Originally posted by the_mighty_bucket View Post
          ah, there's a 10min editing deadline on my threads, but anyways, I also have several bottles of ScratchX 2.0 and some Sonax Xtreme nano 3 polish&wax in my trunk, maybe i should use scratchX instead of UC? Because i belive i just polished away most of my clear coat ..
          Use a paint depth finder to figure that out. Chances are if the mystery guy knew what he was doing with the rotary then you still have a good amount of clear left.

Comment

Why is your pad all black if you have a 2 stage paint (base / clear coat)?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
              Why is your pad all black if you have a 2 stage paint (base / clear coat)?
              Soft paint I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Amature Detailing View Post
                Soft paint I would think.
                when using a rotary on soft paint, Is the pad supposed to look like that?

Comment

Originally posted by angeloaa View Post
                  when using a rotary on soft paint, Is the pad supposed to look like that?
                  yeah, it was like this from the beginning. the black residue kinda scares me but the man i spent some money on said it's alright. So i guess it is.

Comment

yeah, it was like this from the beginning. the black residue kinda scares me but the man i spent some money on said it's alright. So i guess it is.
                    if your happy with it and it looks better then before, thats all that matters.
                    cars 14 years old.

Comment

Hopefully the guy you spent money on cleaned the pad after each panel or at least used a clean pad every panel.

Comment

Originally posted by angeloaa View Post
                        if your happy with it and it looks better then before, thats all that matters.
                        cars 14 years old.
                        Yeah, i tried my best (well, with the help of a man of course. ha haha) , at least now i'm quite confident that i can make quite a difference, if i try, very hard.

It feels really good when i see out of the windshield and once again, after 170,000+ miles, i can see all the clear reflections on the bonnet. If theres really a heart in every car, it'd be a very happy heart now
                        --

And yeah, we used 6 pads in total and half of them ruined (that's just the rotary pads) , somehow the pads had really short life and must be changed quite often (the one in the pic was just after 2 UC passes on the bonnet ). But D/A pads held its shape very well, and still re-useable.

Comment

Looks very good. A lot better. The main thing is your happy with the results.
                          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');